Is it ok for a muslim girl developer to work abroad?

As with most things in life… if you make it a big deal, it will be a big deal. People get jobs everywhere in the world but the best way to get into anything is connections. Get to know lots of people on Linked in - you can add people from multiple industries and even write a blog about it.

It doesn’t matter what your religion is, because people can be mean anywhere. It is all about people wanting someone who is peaceful and a hard worker. IF you can produce results, then you are hired.

Write down your skills and soon enough “Scouts” come looking for you on LinkedIn. Make a really cool web page showing your skills and what you like to do. You can even say you are a junior developer looking for more experience and that you like wearing your religious clothing to work.

Just an idea about perspective - you can even joke about would people hire a nun programmer in full dress? It is all about perspective and people knowing they can get along with you and that you are a good person with some basic boundaries of respect.

So to summarize:

1.Make an online Resume.
2.Find skills of what is in demand - Example C#, or whatever you like to do. Front end, backend
3.Make as many connections as you can. Talk to people on Linkedin.

I live in the Midwest and I’ve lived in the South most of my life. US that is. They like to touch. Women moreso than men, but there’s a lot of prejudice and racism out here, though I do see Muslims from time to time. The West coast of the US is waaaay more accepting of people than a lot of the US.

As far as Europe goes, I would look at areas that are more accepting of women in tech first and foremost. It’s no fun busting your rear to get a job only to be pushed out and ostracized because they don’t want a woman on their team.

If you’re not against remote work, Github and Automattic both have remote positions all the time and they don’t care where you live. If you’re really set on Europe, you could take a job like that and live just about anywhere.

Girl, go get what’s yours!!! If they don’t appreciate your devotion, that’s on them. Go do your thing. I’ve been denied handshakes by devout Jewish men, and then we all worked together. Go get it!

I only said it was a possibility, not that it was the gold standard. I have experienced it A LOT here in the states. I was actually told by a co-worker, “Women don’t do IT,” and I was pushed out of that job. So yeah, it happens. Maybe the Netherlands doesn’t have the issues we do, but it is a thing, so I caution any women in the industry to do their research before they apply to a company to make sure the company has a culture of equality.

From what I hear from people in the tech industry, there is a real desire to have more women work in the industry and to help break down any barriers. I work in London and the tech industry is liberal and welcoming to all - at least that is my experience. I am sure there are a few who would discriminate against you - but you wouldn’t want to work for them anyway (neither would I).

Shaking hands is very much the culture here, but likewise almost everyone would accept your culture - but you may need to politely advise people…I would naturally go to shake your hand, as would most people. And then be profusely apologetic!!

Also don’t forget some tech companies in Europe are founded by Muslims, likewise your potential manager could be a Muslim too.

If you don’t cover your face I don’t see any problem at all actually.

About the shaking of hands, as long as you are communicative to all your colleagues (including men) it wouldn’t matter at all. You do need to develop a sort of skill to navigate these situations smoothly though and be sure not to offend unconsciously.

For example, I’m quite progressive but if someone doesn’t want to shake my hands I would be for sure offended. Only if I learn that it is because of your religion I wouldn’t care.

You can also contact HR departments of Google and Facebook (just send them an email), pretend like you want to work there (even if you don’t) and ask them about their policy on your situation.

They might even have advice for you.

Anyways keep up the good work and enjoy the journey :slight_smile: