Iterate Through All an Array's Items Using For Loops Counter Method

Tell us what’s happening:

Can someone tell me what’s wrong with my code ?.. i tried the methods i learnt in debugging and i did actually determine the problem but i can’t figure out a solution. … i tried console.log and printed out the results of v but they don’t make any sense to me.

Your code so far

function filteredArray(arr, elem) {
  let newArr = [];
  // change code below this line
  let v=0;
for(let i=0;i<arr.length;i++)
{
  for(let j=0;j<arr[i].length;j++)
  {
    if(arr[i][j]===elem)
    {v++;}
  }
  if(v===0)
  {newArr.push(arr[i])}
  else{v===0}
}
  // change code above this line
  return newArr;
}

// change code here to test different cases:
console.log(filteredArray([[3, 2, 3], [1, 6, 3], [3, 13, 26], [19, 3, 9]], 3));

**Your browser information:**

User Agent is: <code>Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/68.0.3440.106 Safari/537.36</code>.

**Link to the challenge:**
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/basic-data-structures/iterate-through-all-an-arrays-items-using-for-loops

Take a look at this:

if(v===0)
  {newArr.push(arr[i])}
  else{v===0}

You want to set v to 0 if you haven’t added an element. How would you do that in the else block?

Also, if you’re posting working or mostly working code, please blur it out by surrounding your code with [spoiler] and [/spoiler] tags. You can also select the code and click on the cog in the editor and select "Blur Spoiler:

OMG …i read that part a thousand times and each time i read it as an = …i blurred the code dud thanx.

You’re welcome. I don’t know how many times I’ve stared at lines of code for a while, then someone comes along and says “oh, that’s the problem” a minute later. :smiley: Asking for assistance is one of the harder parts of doing this.

1 Like