Javascript and Entry Level/Junior work?

Hello guys, one of my plans after finishing the FCC’s front end development section is to try to get a paid internship and hopefully score an entry level position with launchcode or at another comapny. I’m basically trying to get my feet wet as a developer. I’ve always wondered how much javascript would you be using on the job? Will you help build on current projects or build from scratch using javascript? Will you be just doing alot of debugging? Is anyone one here or know of someone who’s working as and entry level/ junior developer? What are required to do when using javascript and how much do you use it?

There really is no consistent answer for this. It depends entirely on the job. When you interview, the company might not even be able to answer those questions because sometimes you aren’t hired for a particular project, but hired on your merits and then assigned to the team that needs you most. Heck, when I interviewed for my current job it was for a very JavaScript-heavy project, but in between my interview and my start date the team was told they would be moving to a project that was all Python so my first task was learning a new language. This is a field with an incredible diversity of work experiences, which is great for trying to find the perfect fit, but a little hard for anticipating future jobs.

1 Like

Thank you for your response :slight_smile:. I really wasn’t look for a direct answer but just answers based off of expereince working with javascript at a company. I can definately understand why it be up to the employer to decide what you would be doing with javascript.

[quote=“dbivs08, post:1, topic:4260”]
I’ve always wondered how much javascript would you be using on the job?[/quote]
It depends on how specialized your role is. Some teams that I have worked on have GUI People and Server People, with the GUI People work in JavaScript most of the day. Others want each team member to have a “vertical slice” and work both the server changes and the GUI changes for a feature or change request

Will you help build on current projects or build from scratch using javascript?

It depends on whether you’re joining an established project or not as well as how big a project it is. I would think that most of the time a newbie is going to be working off of some existing base, but I’m sure that’s not always the case.

Will you be just doing alot of debugging?

It depends on how the company defines your role. If you mean responding to bug reports exclusively, that is a role often referred to as a “maintenance engineer” and often outsourced after a company has chosen to stop actively developing a product, but not stop supporting it. Bug fixes are pretty good way for newbies to learn the codebase though, so it might be where you start (especially if you are an intern).

Is anyone one here or know of someone who’s working as and entry level/ junior developer?

I am.

What are required to do when using javascript and how much do you use it?

I don’t understand the “What are you required to do” bit, but JavaScript is the primary language that I work in right now.

1 Like

Thank you for answering my question gain in great detail :slight_smile: