Joined in April, got a job as a junior front-end developer!

I have an idea similar to yours…regarding the coding practice app. How about we male this happen…lets GIT it! :joy:

Thanks so much for posting it :slight_smile: I am definitely going to use it as a reference when I apply for positions - hopefully very soon!

@Nicole you are welcome, good luck!

Congratulation on the job.

1 Like

hi dear , i have seen your work and its awesome , i find your story very realistic . i was hoping if you can see my projects and advise me how can i improve them so that i can get a job like you in near future , the link

thank you for your time ,
regards
shahrukh

Reading posts like this is incredibly discouraging for me. I graduated with a BS in Computer Science in June of 2016 and have completed all of the front end certificate section except for the simon game and have yet to get an internship or a job. Yet someone can spend less time and effort and get lucky and get an internship just because her cover letter reads well.

I’m not saying you don’t deserve it i’m just upset that I haven’t been able to find anything.

this website is beautiful! Well done!!! Your post is very inspiring :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MP7373

Sorry to hear that.

I don’t know if its just about my letter reading right, it shows I have the right attitude, which I do, willing to work and learn for free untill I’m good enough to be paid.

It’s a shame you haven’t been able to find a job yet I am sorry about that. It could depend on availability?

In Australia this kind of profession is in high demand so people are willing to take people with less experience and teach them. People even hire juniors before they are juniors if they aren’t willing to work for free sometimes. That could be a part of it?

Maybe try sending off something similar to mine and show them you are willing to work? Try that approach and see how you go!

1 Like

Please id like to see that awesome email that got you the much needed internship

Can i have such a book please. Thanks a very big bunch

read up! I posted it!

Her cover letter? Less time and effort? LUCKY?

Did you see her website designs? It’s great looking!

No doubt, that’s why she got hired – she can create beautiful designs and code it into a working website.

@owel

Thankyou so much :slight_smile: it’s my dream to design the website and bring it through to the end with the coding and implementation, so that means alot.

@MP7373 I think the key is that I clearly have a long way to go, if anyone looks at my code they can see it’s not perfect, and I have a lot to improve with Javascript, but I try hard, I continue studying and I want to improve.

Try to offer the people you want to work for something, as they will need to teach you and take you under their wing. Show them that you are worth the investment :slight_smile: Just keep doing more projects, go and do a site for free for a company and get it up and running on the web. I am working for Thrive and still went to a small coffee shop to approach them and ask to build them a website so I can improve faster. That way I can show thrive that I can get more than a single page website and I am good enough to code multi-pages :slight_smile: I posted the design below. Just try different things!

2 Likes

Just savage! :slight_smile:

Looks great once again.

1 Like

I don’t know of any businesses that would let someone bad like me make them a website and even if they do I feel like it will go unnoticed and not matter. I go to local meetups for programmers and that hasn’t led to any job prospect. I went to a job fair at my university earlier this year and emailed back all of the people I talked to but none of them sent anything back. I’ve done numerous coding problems on codewars to make sure my coding skills don’t go away and put that profile on my resume. I apply to new developer jobs as they pop up in my area weekly. I apply to internships but get rejected because i’ve already graduated and they only want people still in college. I’ve been trying to listen to coding podcasts to be somewhat up to date with things going on in tech. I may not be going at the fastest pace possible but I am still continually improving and applying to jobs but it feels like it is never enough.

Hey Francesca, thanks for sharing your story. It is very encouraging and your work is really beautiful! By the way, where are you in Australia? I am moving there this year, my friends are in Melbourne. Also, have you used bootstrap to make these websites? sorry newbie question? Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi !

You are welcome :slight_smile:
I am in Australia, I think that Melbourne has a lot of opportunities for developers, more so than the Gold Coast, which is where I am situated.

I actually didn’t use bootstrap, but I am going to for my next project just to familiarize myself with it more. You can take a peek at the code with the inspect tool to see how i did it. Not so elegant, but its my first two up and running websites :smiley:

1 Like

ohh yes, I looked at it. It is actually very clean and good code. You are doing really well. Thanks a lot for the information, I am really looking forward to moving there in utter honest because of people I have met from Australia. Good luck with your bootstrap, I have tried it, it is very easy and you will have no problem. I decided to get better at css as my css is not very good yet so stopped working in it.

Hi Francesca, this story is truly amazing! Could I ask what background do you have prior to studying code? :slight_smile:

Hahaha, believe it or not, mostly finished degrees in Psychology and Chinese Medicine…