JS Calculator bug fixed (and updated!)

There was a bug with my calc when you tried .1+.2+.3 or similar.
The 2nd number was not detecting the decimal point.
Should be fixed now.

1 Like

I like how you used different colours to make it look like a real-world calculator that might be sitting on my desk.

1 Like

There were a couple of little things I noticed.

• I can’t multiply/divide by a negative number unless it’s the first number entered. 5*-5 is calculated as 5-5.
  • There is a bug that gives odd results after a few computations because the entire expression is being evaluated instead of the prior result against the new expression. for example 10 - 8 evaluates to 2 if I continue with * 100 I’d expect 200 but I get -790.
  • After an expression has been evaluated I’d expect leading with a number instead of an operator to clear the expression and start fresh. But its merging it with the last number of the current expression. 5 * 2 evaluates to 10 and then I enter 5 / 2 and I get the result of 5*25/2.
  • Your calculator doesn’t seem to like numbers following 0, 5 * 201 is entered as 5 *21.

I feel like every time I open my calculator up I find a new bug with it, I actually just rebuilt it with React and found some fresh bugs so now my handleClick function is a huge mess of if/elses. Which is probably why I was able to find a couple of bugs in yours, I’m still in full destroy mode haha.

I really like the use of a switch statement here I wish I would have thought of that it makes perfect sense to keep the code more manageable.

Thanks for the thorough testing :slight_smile:

This is one of those challenges that seems endless in the ability to create bugs. It could do will a test library for users to go through because thinking of all the side conditions is difficult.

Regarding a couple: 5*-5 could just as easily be entered as -5*5 which works. So, yes it’s a bug but you can still get the correct answer :stuck_out_tongue:

The way I was taught Maths 10 - 8 * 100 does = 790 because of BODMAS rules. Multiplication and division takes precedence over addition & subtraction but I see the problem. The calculation is left in the input window so adding more numbers spoils the result.

After doing this and helping someone else, I thought of a better way to build up the expression so I will probably do a React version like you as a version 2. Basically I think using an array to build up the expression would have been better.

Thanks again for the feedback :+1:

Sure lol but this kind of goes along with the other one, if I want to multiply by -5 after getting the result of a previous expression I’m kind of at a loss.

I didn’t know they used a different acronym overseas for order of operation, I was taught PEMDAS. huh TIL.

Currently I’m using a string to store and display the expression and parsing it as an array before passing it to my final calculation, if you want to take a look here’s a link. But my handleClick which is where I’ve tinkered with finding all the edge cases has become quite ugly and kind of hard to follow

handleClick(e) {
        const char = e.target.innerText;
        const numArr = this.state.calculation.split(/[()%÷x\-+]/);
        const ops = '%÷x-+';
        let temp = '';

if (char === '.') {
            if (numArr[numArr.length -1].includes('.')) {
                return;
            } else if (this.state.isEvaluated) {
                this.clearDisplay();
                temp = char;
            } else {
                temp = char;
            }
        } else if (ops.indexOf(char) > -1) {
            if ((this.state.calculation.length < 1) && (char !== '-')) {
                temp = '';
            } else if ((char === '%') && (this.state.calculation[this.state.calculation.length -1] === '%')) {
                temp = '';
            } else if (this.state.calculation[this.state.calculation.length - 1].match(/[0-9)%]/) != null) {
                temp = char;
            } else {
                if (char === '-') {
                    if (ops.includes(this.state.calculation[this.state.calculation.length -2])) {
                        temp = '';
                    } else {
                        temp = char;
                    }
                } else {
                    if (ops.indexOf(this.state.calculation[this.state.calculation.length-2]) > -1) {
                        return this.setState({
                            calculation: this.state.calculation.slice(0,-2) + char,
                            output: this.state.output.slice(0,-2) + char,
                        })
                    }
                    return this.setState({
                        calculation: this.state.calculation.slice(0,-1) + char,
                        output: this.state.output.slice(0,-1) + char,
                    });
                }
            }
        } else if ((char === '(') && (this.state.calculation === '')) {
            temp = char;
        }
        else if (((char === '(') && (this.state.calculation[this.state.calculation.length -1].match(/[0-9]/) != null )) ||
                   ((char.match(/[0-9]/) != null) && (this.state.calculation[this.state.calculation.length -1] === '%'))) {
            temp = `x${char}`;
        } else if ((char.match(/[0-9]/) != null) && (this.state.isEvaluated)) {
            return this.setState({
                calculation: char,
                output: char,
                isEvaluated: false,
            });
        } else {
            temp = char;
        }
        this.setState({
            calculation: this.state.calculation + temp,
            output: this.state.output === '0' ? temp : this.state.output + temp,
            isEvaluated: false,
        });
    }

I’ve just kind of plugged edge cases in where I could fit them instead of really rethinking the function as a whole. I think a switch statement would make it much more readable. Comments probably wouldn’t hurt either lol but that’s another bag of worms entirely.

1 Like

Looking good so far! My advice, try not to spend too long on it because it can become very time consuming!

1 Like

Ok I think I have fixed the 6*-3 type equation now.
I also added typing as an option although I haven’t done keys for AC and CE yet.

Feel free to play with it:

Now I can chain multiple operators together by pressing 6*-*-/-*3 I get 6**/*3

Also I cant continue an equation by leading with an operator after the previous expression is evaluated.

Yep, it’s a coder’s nightmare! Needs TDD.

Anyway, I think I squashed that one :bug:

6*-*-/-3 I get 6*/*3

Not sure about the 2nd problem. How is the typing?