Just a conversational thread about JavaScript

JS is like a base for learning other languages, especially the C based syntax languages like C#, C++, because JavaScript actually uses the C syntaxing.

So if you were to pick one c or c++?

I am new to coding, what is a C based syntax language?

Hereā€™s the thing, C++ is based on C, so itā€™s like an updated version of it with easier syntax.

1 Like

Funny thing is, not knowing one tiny thing about computers, the only reason I started learning JS is because FCC said so!

I donā€™t even know what languages there are!

C is an old (but still very much in use) language. Languages that look similar are said to have C/C++ syntax. C++ is closer to CUDA syntax if you are interested in GPUs, but C is great for low level stuff like embedded systems (stuff like Arduino). The core syntax of the two are very similar.

3 Likes

The C syntax is the text syntax that JavaScript uses. It is from the language C, as the name said itself. Itā€™s how you declare variable using the var = value;. Itā€™s how you create functions like

function myFunc() {

}

//In C++ they have a way to create  an easy function like this

int funcName() {
//codes here
}

//that's why they implement => on JS so it goes like this

let funcName = () => {
//codes here.
}

C syntax also includes the dataTypes of each values, like

let numbers = 1; //numbers
let Boolean = true //Booleans
let string = "string" //string

This is what JS is built on from. So as many languages.

3 Likes

Wow, itā€™s going to take a minute for me to process thatā€¦now I see how little I truly know :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

what a wise explanation, I love it

Boy, am I glad you guys are here or I would start having nightmares about JS ghosts coming to get me for totally messing them up!

1 Like

how would we call JS gohst ?? hahaha maybe JigSaw haahahahahahhaha

let I = 'wanna play a game';//hahahahaha
2 Likes

hahahahahaha :grin: :clap:

Let me re word this. Syntax is words we used to tell the computer what to do. So we canā€™t just tell them exacty what to do, thats why syntax exists. Syntaxes in JS uses the old C syntax which are very straightforward meaning. EX:

var hello = "hello world";
//this just means to create a 'variable'
1 Like

I am beginning to understand. Itā€™s a good thing I am learning this a year before I am going to get a job. Do you think I could wrap my head around this in a year?

Not sure where you got that from?

The name JavaScript is owned as a trademark by Oracle. The actual language is not owned by anybody. The ECMAScript language specification is standardized by Ecma International and ā€œThe Ecma TC39 committee is responsible for evolving the ECMAScript programming language and authoring the specificationā€.

The ā€œlookā€ of the language was actually ā€œdictatedā€ to Brendan Eich by upper management, they wanted it to look like Java. It also draws inspiration from non-c-style languages.

Popularity

Whether any existing language could be used, instead of inventing a new one, was also not something I decided. The diktat from upper engineering management was that the language must ā€œlook like Javaā€. That ruled out Perl, Python, and Tcl, along with Scheme. Later, in 1996, John Ousterhout came by to pitch Tk and lament the missed opportunity for Tcl.

Iā€™m not proud, but Iā€™m happy that I chose Scheme-ish first-class functions and Self-ish (albeit singular) prototypes as the main ingredients. The Java influences, especially y2k Date bugs but also the primitive vs. object distinction (e.g., string vs. String), were unfortunate.

Edit: BTW, this thread is going a bit off-topic, donā€™t you think?

2 Likes

Okay. Now I am confused!

Thatā€™s probably because everyone is just happy that they know JS, which started this whole thing, or that there is someone to help us with JS!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript
enjoy reading bro :wink:

Why are you linking to a wiki article?

1 Like

read its history please so you can understand how it was a browser war behind it between Netscape and Microsoft

Microsoft debuted Internet Explorer in 1995, leading to a browser war with Netscape. On the JavaScript front, Microsoft reverse-engineered the Navigator interpreter to create its own, called JScript.
this thread is going a bit off-topic, donā€™t you think? No, this is history, everyone should know. Thank you very much.

1 Like