Just got my new dev job~!

Just got my new dev job~!

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting but I have been doing free code camp since September.

Here’s an outline of my journey thus far:

1. Did games programming at a private college and quit nearly a year in. :stop_sign:
  2. Worked at a six person start up making menu applications for clients
  3. Started a bachelor in game development
  4. Quit the job in point 3 after a year to work at a company that makes educational applications for children.
  5. Attempting to transfer to a bachelor of computer science for 2018.
  6. Got an offer for a data security job doing fullstack and quit the job in point number 4 after a year.

Here are some of my experiences throughout the process:
:star2: I tried to get a job in japan doing development work.
I applied from July through to September to no avail. Turns out that development jobs in Japan are hard to get for individuals who are not fluent in Japanese. Also, I only got a response from one company after emailing them regarding their position three times.
My suggestion would be to look on the website Glassdoor and potentially inspire (with google translate on) to apply. The best thing you could actually do instead of apply online is going to Japan yourself and meeting with other developers in major cities (such as Tokyo, Osaka etc.). If you take the initiative to go there yourself, companies are more likely to help you get your visa.
Doing tech courses such as General Assembly and Code Chrysalis are a great way to get your foot into the door as well. I definitely recommend you check out Code Chrysalis as they are a 12 week program that is aimed towards teaching advanced JS concepts and is all in English.

:star2: My applications seemed to go to recruiters the majority of the time.
Throughout my application process (for Australian dev jobs) I seemed to have to speak to recruiters the majority of the time. This can be a double edged sword as they love to pass your resume on, but may not put your resume forward to the job or even the company your applied for but someone else entirely. I found that this was both frustrating for myself and the company that got my resume as I was usually not quite what they were after and I would have little to no interest to in the products that the company was creating.

:star2: Recruiters and companies would always call me during work hours even when I expressed that I wanted to be contacted via email.
This may not be a problem to individuals that are between jobs but I was still working and wanted to seamlessly go from one job to another. I find it unethical to be taking phone calls of any time during work hours unless it is an emergency as I like to put all of my time and effort towards doing the job that I am paid to do. My suggestion is to take the phone call either during lunch hours in a meeting room or to take them after work. I was lucky to work part time so then I could take calls and have meetings on my days off however, I think I wouldn’t be able to apply for as many jobs as I did if I was working full-time.

:star2: Coding tests
Some companies want to make sure that your code is up to scratch which is absolutely fine. However, other companies use their coding tests to see if an individual can problem solve and work on their feet. I was never asked the typical coding problems that are used at google, amazon or facebook so if you are expecting just to be able to study for these, you’ve got another thing coming. My suggestion is to just prepare yourself as much as you can and feel free to ask any questions you may have during the examination period. The devs are there to help you and if you can prove that you are trying your best you’ll most likely be able to get through to the next stage.

:star2: I had five interviews at one company and still did not get the job.
Interviews can be hard but my suggestion is to bring a book, write everything down, get to know the interviewer’s experience within the industry and be honest. The last thing a company wants is for you to be suited for the job but not enjoy yourself. It’s okay to say ‘I don’t know’ or ‘please explain that’ in interviews as being a developer is a life-long, learning experience.

Remember to be patient. The more interviews and tests you do, the more likely you are to get the job.

:star2: I taught myself Angular4 over a weekend to get my newest dev job.
If you don’t know something LEARN IT! If you show that you have the drive to work on a tutorial or make a small project over the weekend, the company you are applying for will really appreciate it. By doing this, it shows that you have initiative and though you do not know all of the answers yet, you are more than willing to give everything a go. After all, that’s what development is all about, giving things a go and trying your best.

:star2: Stick to your guns.
Almost all of the companies I interviewed did not discuss my two years experience in the field but rather my degree, when I was going to finish and how that impacted my ability to program. Honestly, I find the fact that I am still studying to be irrelevant to my ability to work within a company as a developer however, some companies see it as a ‘risk’. Just keep telling them that you can do a work / study balance and prove to them that you are a talented programmer. Also stick to the amount of pay that you want. Some companies may think that it is too high but do not negotiate unless you are desperate for a certain job because of the product. You will get the amount that you are asking for especially if you have made the figure on the basis that your prior developer job was paying you a certain amount. My rule of thumb is 5 to 10 grand more than you were getting paid at your prior company.

:star2: Recommended search engines:
I used LinkedIn and Seek the most as Inspire mostly repeats job opportunities from the prior two. The last two jobs I have gotten have been via Seek so I recommend that search engine the most.

:black_heart: Thank you so much for reading this and if you have any questions, feel free to comment on this article and I’ll answer them the best that I can. :black_heart:

P.S. Thank you so much Quincy for answering my emails and believing in me. I couldn’t of done this without knowing that you were cheering me on.

LMAO
I legit didn’t read any of that.
But who cares man!! You found a job and I’m so happy for you bro!!
Moreover your experience and story will help so many people here especially the Noobs (count me in that tally).
:congratulations: my FCC brother!!

HAHA OMG! That’s a great comment. Thank you so much for the comment. If you need any advice let me know :slight_smile:

wow thanks man. I appreciate really appreciate it.
Friend me on FB. I’ll PM you now.
ADMIN!!! We need our own Social Site Thingy. Integrate it with the forum guy!!!

@Rach-Coster First of all, congratulations on your new job doing full stack web development!

Thanks for sharing such a detailed timeline, and insights you picked up along the way.

Congratulations dude, you deserve a medal, I’m proud of you PM me your FB Id

Lots of good advice and perspective in here. Thanks for sharing!
:sparkler:Congratulations and good luck at the new job :fireworks:

Congratulations!

As an aside, the amount of male-specific language in this thread is interesting, even though the OP seems to be female. :thinking:

Oh I just used it as a figure of speech.
But that’s a gd point though!

Hey Congrats on your new job !! I’m very much inspired. :slight_smile:

I have a few questions regarding applying for Japan.
- Through which site you applied for Japan?
- If I learn Japanese language very basic level [N5], will it increase my chance ?

Also… do you have twitter ? :slight_smile: