Just had my first interview!

I disagree. In this interview I actually hit it off well with my interviewers and had a few laughs. I was nervous, but it didn’t really show. I also had some domain technical experience in the companies field, so I think that was the reason I got the interview in the first place. But I was told by the recruiter well beforehand that it was a Sr. level position, but they wanted to give me a shot. I know for a fact that my coding didn’t demonstrate “Sr.” ability at least in algorithms, and they DO in fact need very performant algorithms (javascript isn’t the only language they use).

I’ve been on the other side of the interviewing table before where a dozen candidates have very similar abilities, and while I could eliminate a couple from the “human” perspective, many more were judged by the technical.

In my opinion, it wasn’t that the interviewer didn’t “like my shoes” or anything else, he probably had a number of great candidates, and probably a number of them more suited to the position than me. I had literally 0 on-the-job experience, so it wouldn’t take much to beat me, even just on the resume aspect…

All that said, I did get a job offer and started this past week! I love my new job

Congratulations on getting a new job that you like! That is the most important part :smiley:

Thank you Yuri! I wish you the best in your job search as well!

Hahah, nicely done. Great job and congratulations!

Thanks! I guess I forgot to mention I’ve been working full time as a javascript developer since January :slight_smile: loving the job and my company. Took somewhere around 5 interviews (not counting different rounds of interviews) and a bunch of test tasks and about 5 months, but it is possible for a junior to get a job :smiley: still trying to finish FCC course.

1 Like

Interview questions tend to be more focused on algorithms and data structures and less on real-life development. However it’s a good idea to stay solve such problems every now and then to keep yourself in good shape. I recently had to prepare for an onsite interview in the Bay Area and I found some excellent resources: