Learning C.S. while working two jobs: Can it be done?

This year, I’ve decided to commit to working at least one job and working on getting my own place, but since I’ve never tried getting a place on my own before, I was terribly surprised by how expensive and complex it is to get a place in a small town.

Wanting to make sure I can support myelf and move out of my parent’s house, I’ve decided to try and get a second job on the weekends.

The only problem is, I don’t know how I’m going to pursue a career in cybersecurity or experiment with robotics while working two jobs.

I also don’t know how it’s going to play into me going to college again. I can afford to go back now that I have more financial aid, but I want to earn scholarships, and I need to learn to commit to something, like a regular job.

Yet, trying to work two jobs while living in a small town feels like the end of any of my aspirations and life goals.

What do you think?

Have you looked into going to Community Colleges for the first 2 years?
Have you applied to any scholarship/grants?

It’s a very difficult task that you’ve set yourself. Hopefully with some time and experimentation, you can find a way to manage your time to work towards your goals and also take care of your physical, mental, and social well-being.

2 Likes

Someone told me community college wouldn’t be good enough, and that for something like cybersecurity or robotics, I would need at least a Bachelor’s degree.

To be honest, I don’t even know where to begin looking for and applying for scholarships. I DO think I qualify for the HOPE scholarship, though.

First 2 yrs, CC, then transfer to the college/university of your choice for 3rd and 4th year. You’ll save a lot of money getting all the minor subjects out of the way, paid for, cheaper at CC.

I assume you have checked this out?
https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/

There are also 20 or so states that offer free college tuition. See if your state is one of them.

Maybe. There’s the “Tennessee Promise.”

Free College. It’s a definite YES for TN.

Start googling and researching, and start calling around.
TN Promise, UT Promise, etc…
They’re strict with requirements and deadlines… don’t miss them.

I’m from TN btw… don’t know all the ins and outs of these Promise programs. My daughter checked them out several years ago, but eventually went somewhere out of state with grants, scholarships, and work study.

Well I’m too late for the fall of this year, but I have already applied for the FAFSA for 2019 - 2020. Who should I call?

I don’t think my local community college accepts anything later than November 1st, but is that November 1st this year or next year?

Generally, contact/call the college(s) you want to attend and ask them specifically for their requirements, deadlines, advice, etc.

Well I’ve re-applied for my local community college. I feel a little bit better now, but I still wonder if I can do enough. I’ve still got to wait six months to get back in, and I’m not even certain I can establish a place to live in my small town.

But I will keep working on it. I just think that if I can manage my time carefully and establish a personal space to work on projects, maybe I can turn my life around.

I’m currently working 2 jobs and trying to study computer science so that I can have time for a life. I’m making consistent progress, and it can be done but to be honest it’s better to get as many vectors applying force in your life as possible all headed in the direction you hope to go. The finer your point of focus the more likely to achieve a break through a given wall.

1 Like

I agree. I think I’m going to change my focus from furiously hunting for a place to live to focusing on overcoming mental barriers, and using the money I earn to seek counseling, as well as have a place to focus on my pursuits. Like a library, and YMCA membership.

I think I’m going to work my job for six months, save up for a vehicle or at least a bicycle and travel gear if anything goes wrong before then, and then either go to Job Corps again for Computer Networking or Computer Technician, or go back to college in the Spring.

I’ve also been doing a lot of thinking at work and in the morning. Like maybe I shouldn’t keep waiting for opportunities and things to happen. I should just see and shape myself to be the kind of person who will find any way possible to preserver in any circumstance and pursue his goals regardless.

And even if my passion projects with programming or anything else aren’t anything job-worthy, maybe if I work on them enough, they’ll be worthy of some attention, and I can monetize that somehow. Build a following and website, get subscribers, use ad-shorteners on certain projects, that kind of thing.

Yeah man, sounds great. I hope you’ve seen some good progress since this last post. I think since most people have absolutely no computer programming skills at all, many potential employees might be impressed from even our modest skills, if they knew about them.

1 Like

You can start at a community college.