Learning linux from beginning

Ohh…yes I already install manjaro cinnemon as dual boot. It run really well. Very smooth experience . Now I am gonna use it for all my work and windows just for games

@Ankit006 my brother, how about this idea. If the computer you use can house two hard drives you can install Linux on one hard drive and Windows on the other. I did that a while ago instead of dual booting on one hard drive. I found it easier. I installed Linux with the Windows hard drive not installed in the computer, that way things were completely separate. Select the OS you wish to use in the BIOS menu by selecting which hard drive to boot from.

Yes,I did same. I install windows 10 on a ssd and on my harddisk I install manjaro.

There is a great course (I believe it is on coursera). Introduction to Linux, from the Linux Foundation

@Ankit006 I think the best way to learn linux CLI (command line interface) is to do something hands on. I first learned by completing codecademy’s BASH and git course. Ounce you finish that, get a VM (I use crostini on chromebook) to tinker around.
Start by:

• editing your ~/.bashrc (make it say “Welcome, I am Jonathan, your personal terminal friend”)

• going into /usr/bin(AKA Binaries). If you want to know what is a certain file, type man <filename>

And remember, if something goes wrong, check stack overflow!

@Ankit006 Linux is pretty easy to use nowadays. I have used it for over 11 years. I have seen the improvements year after year after year. People should not fear that it is difficult to learn. It just takes a little time to learn how to do things on a Linux OS if the person is used to Windows. A really great thing is that if something does not work on Windows there is probably a way to do it on Linux. Knowing both OS is beneficial, think of it like being able to speak two languages.

Yes. I will try hard to learn more about linux

I think manjaro KDE would be a better choice for a newbie.

1 Like

how about opensuse? is it good for newbie user?

I think ubuntu is the best for beginner user in linux.

Well I just install pop os and I think it’s really great. I will be using it as my primary linux desktop now on

Yes. I will try hard to learn more about linux and linux command

I found a website that provides top linux commands with example link below

https://www.puttygen.com/linux-commands

1 Like

Learning linux is like a journey and if I have an advice for it is to start directly with LPI course lot of Linux tutorials don’t deepen notions they just present the superficial layer and the important point is to make it your principle Operating System no matter which package you choose at the end except some administration task commands are same

1 Like

I really depends on what you mean by “from beginning to advanced level.” When I see the question phrased that way, one resource I think of is Linux from Scratch.

Youtube Channel : Eli the computer guy.

1 Like