Make a Person - passes test, but is this code correct?

Hi,

For the Make a Person challenge, I passed the test, but I’m wondering if my code is “kosher” … specifically, storing first and last name in an array variable, and having the methods reference that array.

Any downsides to this? Should I have instead included all code only in the methods with no reference to variables outside the methods?

My code:

var Person = function(firstAndLast) {
  // is it bad form to use this array?
  var nameArr = firstAndLast.split(' ');

// functions
  this.getFullName = function() {
    return (nameArr[0] + ' ' + nameArr[1]);
  };
  this.getFirstName = function() {
    return nameArr[0];
  };
  this.getLastName = function() {
    return nameArr[1];
  };
  this.setFirstName = function(first) {
    nameArr[0] = first;
  }
  this.setLastName = function(last) {
    nameArr[1] = last;
  }
  this.setFullName = function(firstAndLast) {
    let arr = firstAndLast.split(' ');
    nameArr[0] = arr[0];
    nameArr[1] = arr[1];
  }
};

var bob = new Person('Bob Ross');
bob.getFullName();

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.99 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/intermediate-algorithm-scripting/make-a-person

How it gets stored internally is entirely up to you. It passes, because it’s perfectly valid.

Now, one thing I’d suggest – you wrote the split(’ ') code twice. Why not call setFirstAndLast() with the passed param to create the instance in the first place? That way, if the way you set a name should change, you are only changing it in the one place.

Other than that, how it is stored internally is up to you. Well done!

@snowmonkey thx for the quick response and pointer!

@camperextraordinaire OK will do. Is there a way I can blur out the code when posting? I want to make sure I provide enough code for responders w/o giving away too much.