Making your own way: Working as a Remote Developer

This answer to a previous question might help as far as finding a mentor.

For an advantage in remote work, see these replies.

Many many thanks for your reply. Iā€™ll follow your strategy and hope can get around some remote jobs. Best of luck with your journey.

1 Like

Nice Article and inspiring a lot.
my question to you is how you find the remote sites who can trust you to do the job in starting basis?

Super helpful article, thank you. My question is about Chingu is it for web development only? I want to participate but for mobile development.

1 Like

Hey, I am actually not sure if mobile development is apart of Chingu or not. I havenā€™t been apart of the group in some time so not sure where their focus is but you could try contacting Chance who facilitates the group and ask him before you sign up.

1 Like

Hey, I am actually not sure if I understand what you are asking. Do you mind trying to clarify and then I might be able to answer more fully? Are you asking what sites I used to find remote work or how I found companies to work for remotely?

ok I will, thank you

Do you mind trying to clarify and then I might be able to answer more fully? Are you asking what sites I used to find remote work or how I found companies to work for remotely?

i asked Both questions

Loved reading this! Your journey is wonderful to read about and your tenacity inspiring! :slight_smile: :100:

1 Like

How did I miss this awesome post!!! Great to read about your journey, and congratulations!!! Lots of great advice, especially getting over the fear of putting yourself out there when you think you are not ready and dont know enough yet. I battle with that so hardā€¦crazily enough, the more I learn, the more I feel I should know before Im absolutely readyā€¦ I need to snap out of that! lol

Againā€¦congrats!!!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story. Iā€™ve found it very inspirational and have shared it with my 7th and 8th grade Computer Applications students. I tend to be overly analytical and right brained, so your example (and codepen) is great for showing my students how extremely creative people can use the same tools to be expressive and artistic.

Iā€™ve been looking for tutorials geared towards beginners to share with my classes, do you happen to have any super basic introductory tutorials youā€™d recommend for intro css/svg art?

(No worries if youā€™re too busy or donā€™t know of any)

Thanks again, hope your job is still going great.

Thanks, I can think of a few :slight_smile:
This is who I originally learned CSS art from.

He has a lot of little tutorials on Medium.

I learned how to work with SVGā€™s mainly from Sarah Drasner. She has courses on Frontend Masters (that one is not free)

I also have a course on SkillShare (again not free but you can usually get a 1-3 month free membership.)

Here is a free workshop by Ali Spittel

3 Likes

Amazing story i love reading and still reading it thank you so much :sunglasses:

1 Like

Wow good job you see sometimes it is better to run before we can walk. If you didnt try at all you wouldnā€™t have gotten the that remote developer job. Hats off to you @cmgorton.

1 Like

Sounds like you found success with this working from home. Thatā€™s good. Iā€™m getting back into the game after 20 years away from it. Iā€™m taking it as a hobby since iā€™m doing well in the Nursing field. Iā€™ll probably get serious with it when my body starts falling apart. Nothing like becoming 51 these days.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the advice, and congrats on the job! Iā€™m very early in my programming journey, and Iā€™m hoping to get a remote job, too. I agree that some algorithms can be so confusing, and Iā€™ve found that I enjoy working with CSS animations the most. Perhaps Iā€™ll also try to hone my skills in that area, too.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t refrain from commenting. Very well written!

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree. Its a really nice story. My problem is I I never feel like my skills are good enough when I see all the amazing things other people are doing. Iā€™ve tried applying to some remote jobs but nothing has panned out.

I think most developers feel this way. I always feel there is more I need to learn and more I could be doing. Itā€™s hard not to get overwhelmed. I recently lost my job while on maternity leave. I spent a lot of time over the last 2 years building up a network. A lot of people reached out when I said I was looking for a job. I did a ton of interviews. I have been working as a dev for almost 3 years and I still didnā€™t feel prepared for most of the interviews. ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ Interviewing is rough. It can tear down your self esteem/ self-worth.

In the end I did get an offer and really all you need is one good offer right? Sometimes you have to apply to a lot of jobs and get turned down by a lot of them. I think I did 20+ interviews and got one offer. Not sure if that helps at all. Just being honest about the realities of the job hunt.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s so cool! I commend you on pushing forward! Iā€™m actually looking for more remote work too! I know a little bit of JS but need to get way better!

Thanks and much success on your Dev Career

1 Like