Mississauga Coding - freeCodeCamp Study Group Event :: Full-Stack Example - Part 1: Back-End

Over the next two “talk” events we’re going to walk through building a small full-stack application.

We will start with coding the back-end first.

For this you will need to bring along:

• your laptop
  • with a recent version of NodeJS installed
  • as well as Git, which you should already have installed from a prior session
  • and your Google account credentials, as we’ll be using Google Cloud Functions and Firebase for our data API

As per usual, this will be a practical, hands-on event, so please have these things done ahead of the event so that we waste as little time as possible with set-up and set-up troubleshooting.

Feel free to post any questions either right here below this announcement, or on our Slack channel: https://goo.gl/J69cro.

Here is the agenda for this Wednesday evening:

• 6:30 to 7:00 Meet & Greet

• 7:00 to 8:00 Full-Stack Example - Part 1: Back-End

• 8:00 to 8:30 Questions / Workshop / Networking

If you plan to attend, please be punctual.

We look forward to seeing you there.

1 Like

Hi All!
I’m Daniel and I’m Mississauga based. Glad we have a local group.
I’m planning to attend this meeting but the topic seems to be far beyond my capabilities as I’m a total newbie just starting to learn. My interests are around connecting APIs to build a financial app.
Would this meeting still be OK for me?
Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @DanielR and welcome to our group forum :smile:

We are all learning :slight_smile: That’s the purpose of the group, to learn together and help each other learn.

This will be a very simple example next week, where we will build a simple back-end (or API) to get some data, and then (in Part 2) connect that API to a front-end (the part with HTML, CSS, and client-side JavaScript).

It seems to me it’s very related to what you’re trying to do :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, if you have any specific questions regarding your project, or related topics, I’d be very happy to help. Post any questions either here, or on our Slack channel https://goo.gl/J69cro.

Hope to hear from you, and meet you, soon. Happy coding! :smiley:

Thanks so much. I’ll see you there on next Wednesday. I’ll also connect with you on Slack.
I’ll bring my laptop, anything else? Perhaps you can help me out to set up everything I need…
Thanks!

Hi Daniel. Like we discussed on Slack, you just need to install Node :slight_smile:

Since you mentioned working on a financial app, I assume you already have a code editor installed? In case you don’t, and you’re trying to decide on one, I would strongly suggest VS Code. See https://code.visualstudio.com/download

Ok. Cool. Thanks. I already downloaded the applications.
See you at the event.

1 Like

I’ve prepared a step-by-step video tutorial for creating the back-end API. So you can now follow these steps at your leisure, and make sure you have the back-end running by Aug 7th, when we will be tackling the front-end part of our full-stack example.