My backend nightlife app

Here it is.

I know it’s not amazing, but it gets the job done. Constructive feedback is welcome.

https://ksj-fccbe-nightlife.herokuapp.com/

https://github.com/ksjazzguitar/fccbe-nightlife

Thanx,
Kevin

A heads up, your Facebook app is still in development mode making the login impossible.

1 Like

Thanks. I guess it let me log in but no one else. It seems to be fixed now.

I now see that there are issues with the pagination buttons and the “get current location” button, but I have to go to work now so I’ll have to deal with it tonight. Besides, it will give me a chance to improve the colors.

1 Like

I get the following error from firefox on linux:
Can’t load URL: The domain of this URL isn’t included in the app’s domains. To be able to load this URL, add all domains and sub-domains of your app to the App Domains field in your app settings.

Yes, sorry, I don’t know how to have the domain set up for heroku and local testing, so it was set up for local while I was fixing it.

It should be working now. I (think I) fixed the issues with finding location, pagination buttons, and improved the colors.

Please let me know if anyone sees anything else.

Regards,
Kevin

Glad you sorted the issues. The Get Current Location button doesn’t return any error now but it doesn’t seem to get the right position (it returns “Ashburn, Virginia US” for me, and I’m from Italy). If I understand correctly the api you’re using does an IP lookup and maybe that’s what causing the issue.

You could try using the Google (Reverse) Geocode API (if you don’t use an API key it gives 2.500 queries/day if I’m not mistaken). It uses a format like this:

https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?latlng=41.8,12.38

So you could use it in conjunction with navigator.geolocation by passing it the coordinates.

Another thing is, the viewport isn’t adapting on mobile and I’m guessing it’s 'cause the meta tag “viewport” is missing and, on smaller resolutions, the results (venue-name and venue-image) could maybe look better if centered.

Everything else works just fine and it’s functional, good job.

1 Like

OK, thanks, I’ll look into those suggestions.

looks great.
to be picky …

1. I think there should be a list of places, showing numbers going. Although I like the person list aswell, perhaps have both, in tabs?
  2. I can highlight select the page number text.
  3. I-bar (text edit) cursor shows when hovering over the page buttons, I’d prefer the hand (or arrow) icon
  4. How about a search box for type of venue/food and/or location
1 Like

I think there should be a list of places, showing numbers going. Although I like the person list as well, perhaps have both, in tabs?

Perhaps. I was sticking with the user stories. Maybe when I upgrade this for a portfolio piece, I’ll add that.

I can highlight select the page number text.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. I can highlight and select any text on the page. Are you suggesting that the page number should be manually enterable? That would be a feature, but I’m not sure if that would be a meaningful feature. Would people somehow know, “Hey, I bet there are really cool clubs on page 17!” I was toying with the idea of letting them choose how many entries per page. I my implement that to allow them to index through faster.

I-bar (text edit) cursor shows when hovering over the page buttons, I’d prefer the hand (or arrow) icon

Hmm, I have the standard pointer over the buttons. maybe that is browser specific. The I-bar does appear over the page number - I guess I should fix that.

How about a search box for type of venue/food and/or location

Again, it would be nice. I was just worried about feature creep. But that might be a good thing again when I make it into a portfolio piece.

Thank you for the input.

first and foremost, I did say, “to be picky” :slight_smile: I think it looks good.

The version I’m looking at has venues listed with a user count. “… I can view all bars in my area”, you have a list of users if I recall. If I’m wrong many apologies, perhaps I’ve looked at one to many :slight_smile:

re 2: I meant literally that … I can select the text, highlight it. More often than not, a miss on the mouse causes the text to be highlighted (selected). I personally don’t like that. Am I making sense yet?

Yeah, I get the whole “too be picky” thing - I appreciate it.

you have a list of users if I recall

No, I just have an indicator if you are going or not and a number showing how many people are going.

I considered having a hover popup on the number of people going that would show the names of the people but decided against it. Having a button that would show every soiree (what I call them in the program and DB) in that area would be a nice feature. But I’m not sure how that would work. I store the data in the DB as a soiree that is indexed by the yelp-id of that venue. In order to show every available soiree in your area, I’d have to call every Yelp id in that area and check them. I suppose I could save lat and lon of each venue in the DB and do a quick check against the users lat and lon (actually used this on a previous project.)

These are good points to make the app better, but I’m at the stage where I’m just trying to design what was asked for. I could spend another 3 months making this thing better. But ultimately it is just an assignment. I usually try to add something a little extra each time I do one of these things, but I have to keep myself from getting too carried away. I am hoping to finish this cert before the beta switch over so I’ve got to keep moving. But when I make these into portfolio pieces, those would be good enhancements.

re 2: I meant literally that … I can select the text, highlight it. More often than not, a miss on the mouse causes the text to be highlighted (selected). I personally don’t like that. Am I making sense yet?

I guess that makes sense. Now that I think of that, I think I’ve been a little annoyed by that in the past on other sites/apps.

Thanks again for the feedback.