My progress is not saved

Hello,
I saw that they applied some changes and updated the curriculum, but the thing is once i move on to the next challenge everything resets. Is it meant to be like this or they will fix it later?

2 Likes

What do you mean that “everything resets” when you move to the next challenge?

me neither. After 30 minutes i realize that I’m not logged anymore(the button ‘Sign in’ keeps always showing) and all the code and challenges that I made since disappeared. :rage:
Bugs bugs everywhere! This is so frustrating. I cannot keep my studying like this.

[edit] I notice that problem occurs only on Mozilla Firefox, testing on Google Chrome now and works fine.

2 Likes

I mean if I move on to the next challenge then go back to the previous one all the code it s gone, like literally my progress it isn t saved at all. All challenges I completed are checked but the code I wrote it s gone

1 Like

If the challenge is checked that means it’s being saved.

There are two different types of saved progress for Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

Your completed challenges are all saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges and also the last submitted solutions by looking at your profile page.

Your in progress code is saved in your browser’s local storage. In-progress code is also saved in your local browser cache. Because FCC rolled out a completely new application, the old cached values are no longer valid. This is the same effect you would have if you cleared your browser cache. If lessons completed at learn.freecodecamp.org are never displaying in your editor, it is because something is preventing FCC from writing to your browser’s storage. This could be your browser, your privacy settings, or an application. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache. This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.

2 Likes

Hello!

I’m a little bit worried about this. After beta has been rolled into production, my coding challenge’s solutions seems to have disappear, though they are correctly checked as completed.

As Osiris puts it:

All challenges I completed are checked but the code I wrote it s gone

Thank you so much.

Did you read the explanation for this that I wrote this morning?

1 Like

Hello Ariel,

I read it before posting, but reading you I guess I missed something. Excuse me, you wrote a really nice explanation.

After re-reading it, I’ve realized what you mean… there was a page where the heat map showed along with all your solutions. The thing is that I can’t find it anymore :frowning: Would you mind pointing me to the correct url?

Thank you Ariel.

That’s your “public portfolio”. The direct url is freecodecamp.org/portfolio/yourUserName. You can also access from the settings page by clicking “Show me my public portfolio”. This will have your heatmap (heads up: I think the dates on this might not be working for all time zones right now), your brownie points, and the list of completed challenges (the View Solution feature also isn’t working right now). You can also go to freecodecamp.org to see the number of challenges you’ve completed (this is different from the brownie points on your portfolio which is what used to be in the top-right corner).

1 Like

Thank you Ariel. My time line was private, so it did not appear on the public profile. Maybe there is a way to view your “private profile”?

I don’t think that there is a way to view it if it’s private at this point.

1 Like

Ok, it’s probably not important.

By the way, I guess only solutions to challenges that are now mandatory to get one of the new certificates have been migrated. Do you know if the rest will be migrated too?

I think it would be of interest to be able to review solutions to all previously completed challenges, not only those required to get a certificate.

Thank you again Ariel.

I’m not sure if the “View Solution” option will be available for all challenges or not.

1 Like

There is a topic on Support which might give new info on this issue:

1 Like

As you can read in the previously referenced topic, only algorithmic challenges will be stored in fcc and they can be accessed from your settings page, under the corresponding certification.

In my opinion, this makes total sense if all those tiny solutions were eating most database space and slowing down the web.

Thanks.

I have read this explanation and various other posts in this forum, but I can’t seem to be able to understand why the code disappears. You stated: "This could be your browser, your privacy settings, or an application. " I am using Chrome Version 70.0.3538.110. Can you provide more details on what setting we need to change and to what values? At this point the challenges seem easy enough, but I am concerned when challenges get more complicated. Thank you in advance.

FCC will attempt to save your editor code to your browser’s cache. There are any number of settings, extensions, or privacy applications which may prevent FCC from writing to your cache. There are even more that may clear your cache frequently. I do not recommend relying on your browser cache to save anything that is important to you, since it is inherently volatile.