My random quote machine - no api

Hello everybody,

I found this project to be very difficult to finish. Giving it an hour a night, it took me about two weeks to wrap it up. I just couldn’t get an API working in the beginning. I found the forismatic api, but I couldn’t get it to run in codepen, so I wrote an array containing quotes instead.

Also, using the twitter widget js to run the tweet button negated any changes that I tried to make to the anchor tag that made up the tweet button. This took me a long time to realize. I eventually made my own twitter button without the help of the widget.js. It was the easiest way I could find to prepolate the text in the twitter window.

https://tylerdevers.github.io/randomQuotePage/

Finally, on to the next one!

Tyler

1 Like

good one… I also havent used api in my random quote machine.
My randon quote machine: https://codepen.io/verv0eren/full/KgKbLZ/

Thanks for the input verv0eren. I liked taking a look at your code and comparing your jquery to my javascript!

Nice formatting.

1 Like

Good luck with the weather app - it makes Quote Machine a piece of cake.

Just so you don’t post this question on the forums (you would be person 466), you cannot use OpenWeatherMap and Chrome GeoLocation at the same time. You will need to figure out a different way to do this (search the forums for weater project to see what I mean)

No more weather project? Best update ever! That stupid thing took me over a month.

Have the added any helpful info in the curriculum update? I still don’t understand CORS crap whatsoever, and the only thing I know how to do is host it somewhere else or use a CORS proxy.

Thank you for the heads up! It’s figuring out those little things that takes me the longest, just like that darn twitter-share-button class blocking my JS from changing attributes on my anchor tags… It took me a week of evenings to google-fu that knowledge

That is good to know. I’m going to give it a try anyways though. Not using the api on the quote machine felt a bit like a work-around. Or maybe I’ll come back to it like you said… I won’t know until I start I supose. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the great info everyone.