My tribute page: Dakota Cahill

Hello all, I have neglected to make a presence for myself in the forums and I figure this is the ideal way to remedy that. My name is Dakota and I am an aspiring developer in New York City. Let me first say that Quincy Larson is the da real MVP for founding this amazing platform. I have tinkered with all things technical for a long time, but my approach has been scatter-shot and as such I have fallen into a career that I do not find rewarding. As 2017 approached I decided to chart a definitive trajectory for myself and really get into the game. Practical considerations make it difficult to just up and quit my job and do something new, so when I found Free Code Camp I was ecstatic. It is the perfect jumping off point for me and the structure it provides will no doubt lay the perfect foundation to parley my work into a developer role.

Anyway, here is my tribute page. At first, to be honest, I had no idea how to begin, I felt as though I didn’t have a firm grasp of everything I had learned thus far. So, I started researching Bootstrap. It was very illuminating to explore all the different classes in the library and I just start plugging things into the basic criteria provided. I probably spent way more time on it than I should have, and I threw away 90% of the code(an abandoned image carousel, for exampled, R.I.P), but I gained confidence. If you are struggling at all and have yet to do your tribute page, I urge you to do the same. Explore the possibilities and do not be afraid to push just beyond the sum of your current knowledge. Just have fun and experiment until you come away with something usable. I really did get giddy sometimes, that may be due to the toxic levels of caffeine; but, I don’t think so. Anyway, I am highly receptive to feedback and criticism so fire away, and happy coding.

Steve Vai Tribute Page

Hey Dakotachill,

I really enjoyed reading this, my experience has been almost identical to yours! I just finished my own tribute page and it’s good to know I’m not the only one to throw away most of the code. :stuck_out_tongue:

Your page looks great. I really like how you made your div backgrounds transparent with inline styling and using !important. Your code looks very clean.

I’m at the same stage as you so there is little I can offer in terms of constructive feedback. There is one change I tried making to your page that I think looks a bit better. Try changing your body CSS to this:

Body {
background: url(“http://blog.hostbaby.com/wp-content/forum/uploads/2013/07/scuffedstatic_blue1400x900.jpg”) no-repeat center center fixed;
-webkit-background-size: cover;
-moz-background-size: cover;
-o-background-size: cover;
background-size: cover;
position: relative;
}

Let me know what you think, and good luck coding!

Hi @dakotacahill,

HTML:

• Is better not use the style attribute:
<div class="col-xs-8">
        <h1 style="color:white;" class="text-primary text-left text-         primary">Steve Vai</h1>
      </div>

MDN documentation:
style - HTML: HyperText Markup Language | MDN

The style global attribute contains CSS styling declarations to be applied to the element. Note that it is recommended for styles to be defined in a separate file or files. This attribute and the <style> element have mainly the purpose of allowing for quick styling, for example for testing purposes.

• This code is not correct:
 <footer><cite>Steve Vai</cite></footer>

MDN documentation:
<cite>: The Citation element - HTML: HyperText Markup Language | MDN

The HTML Citation Element (<cite>) represents a reference to a creative work. It must include the title of a work or a URL reference

Cheers and happy coding :slight_smile:

@Zaena - thank you for that input, I plugged it in and it is actually fixed what I disliked about the positioning of the text in relation to the background. Good stuff my man, very helpful. I hope I can return the favor at some point.

@Diego_Perez - yeah, I know, I think i became so focused on using Bootstrap over CSS that I started neglecting it, but thank you for that insight and links to that documentation; should be helpful moving forward. I appreciate the help with the code clean up.

Thank you both for the feedback it was very useful.

1 Like