My Tribute Page - what do you think?

So I just finished the first basic front end project - the tribute page.

Here’s a link: https://amirf27.github.io/tribute-page/
And here’s a link to the code: https://github.com/AmirF27/tribute-page/tree/gh-pages

It took a while and some effort, but was very fun and was worth it.

What do you think? I’m considering adding more to the biography part, or is what I’ve written enough? Have I overdone it? I mean it took around 200 lines of code for each of the HTML and CSS. Is it too long or is it okay? I tried not to make it too long, but it was hard not to.

Also, is it okay that I used a media query?

P.S.: To anyone who might be wondering, I used Coolors to generate the color scheme, and used a couple Google fonts as well, and Font Awesome for the icons.

Congratulations. Nice job :thumbsup:

Layout - ok, responsiveness - ok, colors - ok.

Only thing which looks off is footer - both color and size. I would move link to website and icons outside - they are related to band (right now it looks like they are yours).

Perfectly enough. This project is more about form, not content.

HTML is content - there is really nothing you can do about it. If your content is 500 lines (e.g. poem or wiki article or blogpost), your HTML will have to have those 500 lines somewhere.

Yes. In upcoming FCC curriculum update more emphasis will be on using vanilla (i.e. pure) HTML/CSS/JS features (including media queries) instead of libraries like Bootstrap and jQuery.

1 Like

I like it good job! You went way above the requirements and I like that! Good job!

1 Like

it’s awesome, you did all the User Stories which is the most important thing in development.
like @jenovs said, the footer’s color looks off.

1 Like

@jenovs Thank you for your feedback! :smiley:

I did some changes to the footer. Check it out now. What do you think? Is it better this way?

Thanks! It’s good to hear. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reply. :slight_smile: I followed @jenovs’s advice and made some changes. Do you think it’s better now (you can still click on the same link and see the updated page)?

Very nice work, the color scheme is awesome. Great job !!

1 Like

Much better. ````````

1 Like

Thanks man! It’s great to hear. :smiley:

@jenovs Glad it’s better now. Now the question is how do I submit the project? I mean as far as I understand the code should be viewable, and if I had used CodePen then it would have been just one link, but I decided to do it locally and use GitHub instead. So do I attach both of the links?

I usually add a link to GitHub somewhere on the page.

You could add it to the footer. E.g. Written and coded by Amir F. Source code on GitHub

1 Like

@jenovs Oh so you mean I include just the link to the page itself with the submission of the project and then add the link to the code on the page itself?

Yes.
FCC allows you to submit only one link.

1 Like

@jenovs Done, I added a link to the source code and submitted the project. Now what? I just wait for it to get reviewed? Do I get notified once it does?

It won’t be reviewed until you finish all the challenges (frontend, data viz, backend) :unamused:

I know it sucks, but that’s the way FCC works. The upcoming curriculum update is expected to have automated tests, so you’ll be able to to see if your project qualifies, but right now all you can do is post it here and hope to get some constructive feedback.

Don’t let it discourage you. You did a good job on this project. Move on to the next.

1 Like

Oh… That does suck, yeah. I was considering deploying the next project, the portfolio webpage, to GitHub like I did this one and later on use a hosting service and buy a domain name so it could be an official website. Guess this won’t be possible in this case since I would have already provided the link. Or I could have it in two different places I guess. Is there a way to change the link to your submitted project?

Either way, I’m glad to hear you think I did well on this project. :slight_smile:

EDIT: By the way, do you think I should include my tribute page in my porfolio, or is it too basic and won’t do the portfolio any good?

You can submit as many times as you want. Just go to the project page on FCC and submit again. Same with algorithms.

Also I would skip the Portfolio Project and leave it as the last project of the front end. That way you’ll have stuff to put into your portfolio and also you’ll see which projects are suitable for a portfolio (and yes, Tribute page is too basic :slight_smile: )

1 Like

That’s a great idea. I’m gonna skip it for now then, and come back to it once I’m done with the rest of the front end projects. So which projects do you think I should exclude from the portfolio, besides the tribute page?

Also, while we’re at it, is there a source you can suggest to find project ideas I could try (preferably more advanced ones suitable for the portfolio)?

The idea of a portfolio is to showcase your best work, show your skills. You should include project you are proud of.

You can take any of FCC projects and make it awesome (even tribute page) or you can make a bare minimum just to pass user stories. It’s up to you. Do you think the project is good enough to be on the portfolio? Is it your best work?

Regarding project ideas, I think googling for “programming projects ideas” will give you a ton of results. The project should be interesting to you. It would be very boring to learn programming while working on some project you really hate.