Need advice on bootcamp

Need advice on bootcamp

Hey guys. I graduated from a community college a few months ago with an associate’s in Computer Programming and Web Programming. I have a portfolio (adace123.github.io/portfolio-site) with a number of projects under my belt, but the job search has been tough so far. After having applied to numerous companies, nothing much has turned up.

Thus, I’m thinking of joining a bootcamp. The one I’m leaning towards is Lambda School because of their income-sharing agreement and job/salary guarantee, as well as their more in-depth curriculum as compared with other bootcamps. I’m also considering the Thinkful because of the lower cost of their part-time bootcamp but the issues I have with them are that there’s no salary guarantee and they count a “paid apprenticeship” as having fulfilled the job guarantee.

Overall though, I’m really not sure about a bootcamp because, while I would most likely benefit from it, the massive time and money commitment makes is making me have second thoughts.

So my questions to you boil down to:

1. Should go for a bootcamp or hold out and keep applying?
  2. What do you think about Lambda School and their income-sharing agreement? Is there any other similar bootcamp that I should consider?

Thanks.

My personal opinion. Take it FWIW.

Paid/For-profit Bootcamps have gotten a bad rap due to the money grab. It seems most of them are just telling students what to study, and the student just do the studying on their own anyway. So basically, boils down to you’re just paying for the company connections, hoping that you’ll get hired by their company contacts after you graduate. Then now, there’s this new thing of salary sharing, where they get a cut percentage of your salary. Yikes! Anyways, lots of BCs are closing right now, it’s unsustainable. They seem to be the new class of for-profit school/colleges that are in fad right now.

Also… no guarantees in life. They don’t control these companies and instruct them to give you a guaranteed job.

So what to do now? I think continue your learning on your own, network, attend meetups and user groups, make friends with other devs in these meetings, show your work, show what you know, give lectures, give classes… I think this will make you get noticed more and maybe even land a job position, being referred to by one of the employed devs in the group.

I don’t have an opinion either way on bootcamps themselves, but did look at the ISA that Lambda School when it first came out. Can’t find the paperwork on their website currently, though, so this is my impression from my memory, oops!

The Income Share Agreement and promise of job have a lot of stipulations. First, you must take a job in one of their specified job market locations (ie, San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles, etc). If you are not near any of these hubs you’ll be expected to move - though a high paying job may be worth it in many cases.

From what I remember, Lambda School also has similar specifications as to what constitutes getting a “job” as Thinkful does. That means you may be considered employed and have to start paying the ISA if you are a full time staff member, or contracted for at least one year, or a variety of other things which aren’t considered long-term career positions. If someone can find a link to the full specifications and rules regarding their ISA then please link it! Thanks :).

Have you taken any of Lambda’s free camps? They seem to have them every couple of months. I review two of the free ones and was not impressed and could not believe they were able to get students to sign up for their program. I figured if they were serious about the free stuff, then they would definitely be serious about the stuff I pay money for. In general, it seemed liked the presentations were not prepared. I will add here that I participated in the first couple of the free sessions (about 6 months ago), so they may have improved their presentation now.

I would stick with free curriculums like FCC’s to supplement what you already know.

Yes, I understand there’s a lot of stipulations but it would be better than my current situation of no job and sending countless resumes into what feels like a black hole.

Here’s their contract: https://leif.org/commit?product_id=59c490e0e59b744fe45ff14b#/

I actually did their free mini bootcamp and it was decent. I guess I wasn’t that impressed either but their reviews on Switchup and Course Report say they’re great so idk.

I recommend reaching out to people who have actually gotten jobs and see if they thought it was worth 17% of their income. Most of the boot camps which I have seen offering such a deal do not charge 17% and they are much more professional in their presentation.

What is your opinion on Thinkful’s part-time bootcamp?

Thanks, and that’s interesting. This is not the document I saw. Though the one I did see was right when they announced ISAs were opening up (I was part of one of their free bootcamp sampler things at the time) so a lot could have changed since then. This one does not seem to specify what qualifies as “work”, for example, beyond the minimum wage that you need to be making to begin repayment. Or perhaps I’m just missing it.

I will tell you why I think the 17% for 2 years of your income is not a great idea in your situation. It is my opinion that most companies who would hire someone without relative work experience and a coding boot camp certificate will hire you as a Junior Developer. Juniors make significantly less money than say a mid or senior level position. Let’s say you get hire in the San Francisco Bay area (as an example) as a Junior Developer making $60,000 because that is probably what you are worth with an associate degree and a boot camp certificate with no experience. If you continue learning more on your own (not at the bootcamp) over the next 12 months, you now have 12 months experience and have fine tuned your skills and created some more side projects. You probably could now put in for a mid-level position which would pay more money if you are talented enough. The problem is that if you make (let’s say $80,000) in your new job, you have to pay the boot camp more money now even though they only helped you get the Junior position. Again, this is my opinion of these kinds of arrangements.

I think that’s a fair point. Despite their no up-front cost and job guarantee, which sounds pretty good to me, I’m definitely not thrilled at the prospect of paying that much over a long period. On the other hand, at least I would (most likely) have a job (I’m currently unemployed) instead of being stuck in what feels like a endless job search.

That’s why I’m also considering Thinkful part-time. They charge $8550 total if I do it up-front or $1500 monthly for 6 months, which is a much lower total cost than Lambda. But there are trade-offs with that, as I mentioned in the OP.

What is your opinion on that?

I was thinking a month ago same way but I’m a too much busy person, sometimes I hate my busy days and even weekend trying to quit the job and take time for few months for full-time study with free resource and spent couple buck ($10) on udemy, youtube etc, Finally decided just sticking with free stuff for while:no_mouth: In my list online bootcamp was (thinkful, codingdojo, appacademy and careerfoundry). Did you check yet? about careerfoundry, I see they offer job guarantee and low cost as $4000, no idea how many graduates getting hired!

The problem with “job guarantee” is there’s no guarantee that it’s a particularly good job.

My broader opinion on bootcamps is that everything they teach is something you can learn on your own, with free resources. The act of spending the money may motivate you though…

From my experience:

1. Keep working on side projects, do not use frameworks on the first couple of projects. If you just finished your 7th website, go continue start building on the 8th website.
  2. Try to implement new stuffs instead of using the same thing over and over again.
  3. Use w3c and JSHint
  4. Read books
  5. Bootcamps are worthless and is waste of money. You could watch lot of videos and find many sources online.
  6. Be open-minded and more importantly create your own best style
  7. do not copy paste! Always try to create your own solutions.
  8. Start blogging about your solutions
  9. Be humble and more importantly keep learning every time.
  10. If you are able to build responsive website with vanilla css and JS you may finally apply for that role.
  11. It is also good to look at your first couple of projects and try to rewrite the codes if possible.(keep pushing yourself to the limit)

Most important thing slow career means you go faster later on and when you go to fast at the beginning, you will go slower and slower at the end of your career.

I am about to start attending Flatiron school coding bootcamp in NYC. I was working on the mid level projects here at fCC, but without a mentor and strict (I need to get this done) I have been having a hard time completing the weather project. My issue with fCC is that I have so many questions and without having someone explain what a function does or how it is used I get stuck longer than I should.
I wouldn’t do the bootcamp part time. If you are going to go into a bootcamp go all in. Having a job and working on your career is not ideal. You will burn yourself out.

You seem to have a couple of experiences, be it a degree or projects to show your work. You can try and apply for associate entry level jobs in other lesser known states and maybe work there for a year while you build experience.

Reply to what others are saying:

• Yes, all tutorials and help can be obtained online, but sometimes you just don’t want an answer you want to thoroughly understand what is going on.
  • Yes, it cost money over freeCodeCamp, but if you feel like you need a better understanding and an immersive course then do it.
  • I agree, don’t do the 2 year payment to the camp based on your salary. It will eat your salary away and cost way more.
  • Some of the guarantees you should read the small print. Flatiron has a guarantee and I am hoping they only allow me to apply to the places I want and not every ad that pops up.

Here are my reasons for doing the bootcamp:

• I will have a mentor to go to when I have a question.
  • they will most likely be able to find a way to show me examples and help me understand, hopefully in a ELI5 matter.
  • I have always wanted to live in NYC and this is a 1 rock/stone 2 birds type of thing.

Schools to look into:
These are my suggestions based on friends or friends friends that I know have managed to get a job as a developer after attending one of these courses.

• General Assembly
  • Udacity (online and cost month to month. $200 a month or $300 with guarantee). Probably route I would have gone.
  • HackReactor
  • Flatiron school
  • Overall just google the city and coding bootcamp

When are you going to start? I’m interested in your opinion after a few weeks of a boot camp. :slight_smile:

A friend of mine just finished up at Flatiron. I think he said if you pay upfront there’s no “making” you apply to stuff. He’s still making “applying for jobs” his full time job since finishing in December though.

From everything I’ve read, yes: the main upside of a bootcamp is motivation.

I also am loving living in NYC since September, so I very much get that. :slight_smile: It’s not cheap to rent/live here though, so depending on your finances that’s a huge extra cost added to attending a bootcamp.

I am starting March 12. Right now I am doing their prepwork to essentially have some understanding of the basics. I have some intermediate experience I would say, but nothing on ruby or ruby on rails which is primarily what they use.

Hi frenata, can you clarify, did you say he finished in december and is still applying?

Yeah, NYC can be expensive. I am coming from Santa Barbara, CA so I am used to the high cost of living. At least in rent.

Yes, he finished the program at Flatiron in mid-December and is still in the process of applying for jobs. Has done 100s of applications I’m fairly certain. It’s not a magic bullet.