Need advice on building a database project

Hi everyone,

I want to build an app/website that can search and display from a database but have no idea how to go about it.

I have a huge manga collection and wanted to keep track of what volumes from each series I have and those that are missing as just scrolling on an excel file takes so long.

I’m almost done on the front-end cert (2 projects left) and will start for the back-end cert soon. I’m hoping this simple project would help me understand more about databases as the current back-end tasks requires us to set-up and build from the get-go. I don’t even know where to set-up as Cloud9 is now a pay-to-use by Amazon. I’ve no idea on whether to go with mongodb or mysql or even how to setup database and retrieve data from it.

Any sources I could use and/or videos where someone built something similar to my project?

Check out this site.
https://university.mongodb.com/

I would recommend checking out Firebase and the Firebase tutorials on YouTube. It’s essentially a free Database as a Service owned by Google and is free for small personal projects. It took me a while to wrap my head around but managed to write and read from the database within a couple of hours.