Need help with inc() function

Hi there! I’m very new to Python and have been asked to modify the following code in a way that it would print 11 instead of 10:

def inc(x):
        x = x +1

a = 10
inc(a)
print(a)

The way I understand the code, is that there is no assigned link between variables x and a, so the function defined above doesn’t really affect the result when I try to print(a).
I’ve tried assigning one variable to the other, but the value for x (the x+1) gets overwritten into a and then 10, hence printing out 10 again.

I hope someone can help me with this small task and explain to me what way works and why!
Thank you!!

No way x and a are related.

So try this code here

def inc():
    a += 1

a = 10;
inc();
print(a);

or

def inc(x):
    x += 1;
    print(x);

a = 10;
inc(a);
def inc(x):
    x = x + 1
    return x

a = 10
a = inc(a)
print(a)  # 11

b = 20
b = inc(b)
print(b)  # 21

print(inc(5))  # 6

inc(x)  # NameError -- variable x is not defined. It doesn't exist outside of the function

x = 1
x = inc(x)
print(x)  # 2. Now it works because a variable 'x' in the global scope has been defined.
          #  There is a global variable x, and within the function, a variable x scoped & accessible only within the function

You’re getting it! The variable x in this instance is scoped to the function inc(). Outside of that function, x is undefined and might as well not exist. Until you reassign a explicitly outside the function in this scenario, it will stay unchanged.

The incorrect way (for this situation), but a good learning example:

a = 10
def inc():  # This doesn't need any arguments 
    a = a + 1  # because this is referencing the global variable 'a' defined outside the function

print(a)  # 10
inc()
print(a)  # 11

The above function won’t increment from any argument like the first one, but only increments the global variable a

1 Like

Thank you @kylec for the thorough explanation, it helps a lot and makes me understand the concept a lot better. :blush: