No. Zero. Days. My Roadmap from Javascript noob to Full Stack Developer in 12 Months

No. Zero. Days. My Roadmap from Javascript noob to Full Stack Developer in 12 Months

This is an inspiring story! Thanks for sharing - this represents a lot of hard work!

Hey Thanks for pointing these out. I was wondering among pluralsight and egghead which one holds more convenient discussion on Javascript! I don’t mind dropping a few dime for some gold but a piece of suggestion will always be nice specially from someone who walked the same path and succeed :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes. Thank you for the share. Very helpful.

hey,

honestly, its hard to pick. annoyingly they all have good but non overlapping content. since pluralsight has a free 3 month trial you could potentially never pay for it (ahem i hope PS people never see this). Max that out, and then go for frontendmasters or egghead. like i said, theyre all “good enough” and at some point you’re just wasting your time trying to decide between fairly arbitrary things. its like standing at the starbucks counter looking at 5 weird names for latte and umming and ahhing. Just pick one. dont like it? make a note of it and pick the next one.

realize that the biggest cost of all this video stuff is NOT money. its time. after you lay down the tens or hundreds of dollars for the course will you actually watch this and use it? its like a gym membership. a lot of people cant follow through. practice doing THAT.

dont spend all your time learning too. learn some, then make some stuff. then learn again. its a pendulum that will get you better and better.

good luck.

If I may ask, is it better to focus on HTML and CSS or just skim the basic and focus on javascript? I personally don’t really like doing HTML and CSS thing (I prefer simple UI and just focus on the functionality of the site) but it seems I need to master it first for freelancing. My aim is to just have sustainable freelance work.

Thank you.

You can try html and css essential training from lynda.com. They are pretty much handy if you start from scratch! And of Course W3School is a good resource for these languages.

It’s important to have general knowledge of html and css and how they work! They are pretty much generic and to the point. No matter how pro you grow to be in programming they will never level up. You learn them once and for all (Entirely My Opinion…)

Thank you very much for sharing this, very inspiring. Also thank you for being very open about what exactly got you there. As someone who is going through similar exercise I can relate to most of what you write in your post. Although my passion is not (yet!) in Web Design I really like FCC and used it to keep myself motivated and accountable. No Zero Days for two years :wink: It all paid off. All that time spent on Embedded systems, Linux, C, Assembler, Algorithms, Data structures, etc for last two years. I finally thought I was ready for a change and landed a job in Embedded SW dev. Thank you again!

hello,

unfortunately, no shortcuts here. do all 3 if you want sustainable freelance work. good luck!

wow. what brings you back to FCC if you area already an embedded SWE with knowledge of C and assembly? thats some pretty advanced stuff!

At some point I contemplated web design and FCC and even spent time with html, css, js, etc. I really like the community and how everyone is trying to be supportive. But I have been hw designer all my life and embedded stuff felt much more natural transition.
I would be interested to know how you approached the following. No Zero Days is good, but at least in my case it was nearly not enough. I needed No Zero Days in 3-4 and sometimes even more different areas every day, combining that with already pretty demanding work schedule was very tough. On the bright side I learned that I am VERY productive at 5:00 a.m. and terrible at 10 p.m :wink: So I scheduled all my studies around morning. I tried even 4:00 a.m but that was just too much. I was completely drained by the time I had to go to work. After two years of this “double life” I was almost forced to apply for embedded job just because there was less and less time, energy and space in my head left for my current job. In a way it was a relieve and I am not even feeling stressed about new job and new career.

Thanks for your story and tips sw-yx.
I’m glad to hear about someone else in similar shoes who has good work ethics and shows that hard work will pay off, which is the foundation for any success. I’m glad you set the benchmark for the rest of us to put in the extra effort to not slack off but put in the willpower to dedicate whatever free time to programming, because self-study is difficult to maintain with no set curriculum and no set deadlines.
I always envy those with such dedication and persistence like yourself. Thank you!

oh dear. well if it helps i -ONLY- worked at my day job for the first half of my journey, then i quit to study full time for second half. While I had my job, i only worked the bare minimum 9-5 since i knew i was planning to quit, and i burned all my leave days for focused sprints. i also had no family commitments to worry about. so thats how i did it. its hard to juggle “no zero days in 3-4 different areas every day”. that saps away at your energy and willpower. just do one thing and do it well and do it constantly.

I see, thanks! I guess there is no “easy way” and reality will dictate what needs to be done. I started with very humble objective to become C Pro :wink: . But as got deeper into it I saw big gaps in knowledge everywhere else which had to be fixed.
Overall three subjects per day were feasible, more than that was hard. So I stuck with 3 for the most of the time and still doing it now.

thanks sir. to be honest i am feeling quite unproductive in 2018. every day is a struggle to be productive. I am hoping you can discipline yourself to do achieve your goals too.

Hi @sw-yx, thank you for the blog post and the little Q&A here :slight_smile:

How did you overcome the algorithms challenges of freeCodeCamp? I completed 2/3 of the Intermediate JS challenges, today I was stuck on one of the challenges, after trying to figure it out myself I did a research on Google, which would help me pass the test too easily imo then there’s the ‘Get a Hint’ button that’s basically cheating. I would like to be able to solve the challenges by myself, if what was required was to click on ‘Get a Hint’ then anyone could code, I’m assuming that it’s not what will get me to be a good programmer.

One more question, regarding the same topic, when I get to solve a challenge by myself it’s basically just code that passes, it’s not hardcoded, and as DRY as I can do, but it’s far from top solutions that are neater, use features of JS I sometimes never heard of, shorter and apparently better performance-wise.

How did you go from ‘My code passed, yay!’ to ‘I’m confident my code is really good and significant improvements aren’t possible in the current version of JS’?

Nice story, although I can’t quit my job or attend a Bootcamp, I believe the main driver of your success was the fact that you spent a considerable about of time studying while still working, which I can do :slight_smile:

hey Jon! Really really great questions. honestly the fact that you CARE about this means way more than actually being great. its a leading indicator. keep it up.

Honestly its been so many months that i dont remember the algo challenges at all but here is the rough strategy i recommend: give yourself up to an hour to solve an algo challenge. if you take more than an hour, you are no longer being productive. peek and get the hint or the answer, whatever, then try and solve the thing. even with hints sometimes the answer is harder than it looks. its fine to take hints. the key is to COME BACK TO THE CHALLENGE 1 WEEK LATER and do it again. repeat until you can get it first try.

bottom line is dont feel like you should be able to divine all the answers on your first try. this is a new kind of problem solving and your brain is still rewiring to be able to do this. its not you being dumb, its just a new kind of problem. once you’ve done enough of them you’ll be able to see enough patterns to solve the -rest- the first try. its kind of like expecting to be able to swim without having swum at all or having seen other people swim. your body can do it, you just need a few practice runs.

top solutions are helpful to grow your knowledge but dont take it as the BEST solution. let me explain. in real life js work there is a saying - code is read 10x more than it is written. if your code is super sexy and concise but nobody can read it without googling stuff then you’re no good as a teammate. in the words of another friend: “not every line of code should be an exercise in code golf”. so take some tricks from those solutions (especially if they have much better performance - that is relevant in an interview) but dont take it as a bible.

so yea. keep doing what ur doing, just do it every day for a year. i do not believe you can do js for a year and not end up being confident that your JS is solid. good luck.

Thank you for your reply,

It reminds of space repetition learning, it would be great to have such a system integrated to fCC - I get your point, it makes sense.

Started the #100daysofcode on the 1st of January partly thanks to your blog post, it’s motivating me!

Sorry for being a bit dense here, but could you explain a bit further the exact process you used here please? When you update your blog, does it continue your streak on github? Thanks for the great information. I have checked out your blog by the way and discovered that your very post shows how you created your blog and presumably linked it to your github account.

Thanks again.

minor update - i am now teaching a fellow camper how to link frontend and backend JS here: https://forum.freecodecamp.org/t/sunburstjs-fullstack-js-livestream-at-4pm-on-jan-16/169066/1

theres not much to explain. when you push anything to github, including a blog post, it continues the streak. :slight_smile: its a gimmick but you need all the help you can get to trick your brain into doing things that are good for you.

My tips on job search AFTER finishing a bootcamp/freecodecamp