Not easy to find a job as deaf person

Not easy to find a job as deaf person

Hello,

I’m from Chile, I’m deaf, I worked as a frontend developer for a year in the digital agency, I was fired on November 30, I was disappointed, I cant find a job although I’ve sent a lot of curriculum vitae, now I’m thinking that I’ll move to the USA (my grandmother is American) but I’ve to take the TOEFL test for improve my English, but I’ve been a programmer for 10 years.

Many companies arent willing to hire a disabled person for obvious reasons.

what i do now? fight or surrender? its not easy for me as deaf person.

:sleepy:

2 Likes

i am sorry to hear that.

2 Likes

Maybe try to apply for remote jobs, for some remote jobs most of the communication is handled via chat, so being deaf shouldn’t be a concern.

1 Like

NEVER SURRENDER. It’s simple. People can accomplish their goals as long as they don’t surrender. I heard some new developper applied to 200+ jobs and still didn’t find but eventually it worked. HE NEED ONE JOB OUT OF 200+, didn’t surrender AND GOT IT!

Keep applying, but do it well, I don’t know but I think a C.V isn’t enough. Distinguish yourself from others and believe in yourself.

1 Like

How find remote jobs?

0 Likes

0 Likes

In terms of trying to move to the US…
Your written English is pretty good for a non-native English user. I would think that a written TOEFL exam shouldn’t be too bad. If you sign, though, I don’t know how much trouble American Sign Language would represent. You might end up feeling extemely isolated, even within deaf communities. Only you can judge how hard that would be for you. In the US, it’s illegal to discriminate based on the fact that you are deaf (of course it does happen, because people are assholes and try to get away with things) and employers are required to “provide reasonable accomodation”. Reasonable accomodation is probably easier in programming because of the nature of our work keeps us constantly at a computer and your team could easily move their communications to emails and chat programs even if you aren’t remote. When communicating via text isn’t an option, it would be your employer’s responsibility hire an inerpreter.

I know that losing your job and job hunting are both incredibly demoralizing, even when everything is in your favor. I hope that you get some encouraging progess soon.

2 Likes

https://www.workingnomads.co/jobs

0 Likes

Try this site https://remoteintech.company/ or just type front end or back end developer remote jobs on Google.

0 Likes

I’m an American citizen… and also deaf (deafblind maybe…? Complicated…). Anyway… fight… it’s a rough road and I’ve been through ups and downs regarding jobs and job hunting, in fact I’m still looking for a Web Dev job… but at least I’m working right now…in an non IT job- not afraid of hard work :). - it’s not easy but as others already mentioned… ADA is the law here… but many companies either aren’t aware of it, don’t really care or are ignorant.

I always say- “if they’re not willing to be open to proper accommodations and/or assist with my needs, then why would I want to work for them?”

If you do move to the US, I don’t know if you could be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation assistance or not (based on deafness)… depends on the state I guess- I’ve not had great luck with some state VRs.

2 Likes

I feel so sorry for you. I don’t know how it is in Chile, but in the US, it is illegal for an employer to fire you because of a disability. You could sue them. You would be much better off in the US if not for that reason alone.

Honestly, companies do have a tendency to stay away from people with disabilities, but I personally don’t think that being deaf would be any big deal. I would think that it would help you concentrate better and be a more efficient worker.

You are a programmer, so as long as you can basically communicate and understand your coworkers in English, I really don’t see that as a big issue. You speak CODE, and that’s the most important.

Have you tried working for yourself by freelancing? You may find it easier due to your disability. You might want to give that a try before relocating to the US.

0 Likes

Yes you can sue but the bigger problem is that many states are “At-will” states… meaning they can fire (or let you go) for any reason and don’t necessarily have to give you a reason why they did. It’s very very tough to prove that they fired someone based on their disability or something else unless there’s hard strong evidence somewhere. Companies can be vague on their reasons for releasing (fire, let go, reassign…) and will find ways to avoid the ‘hot button’ of “You fired me because I’m ____ (insert demographic other than white, cis, straight, young male)”

Getting hired as a disabled person is getting easier these days but it’s still extremely challenging and knocking on a LOT of doors and windows before getting where you want to be.

But… I will say this… I do know of some abled bodied individuals who have looked for work about as long as I have and struggled. Yes I feel like I have to “work twice as hard” or whatever but it’s nice to know I’m not alone and it’s not always because of my being deaf.

The only barrier to me is the phone (as most companies can’t set up a Video Relay phone on their ancient phone systems…) and impromptu meetings where you can’t magically conjure an interpreter or pluck one from your pocket.

But- there are ways to be creative and work around those two issues.

0 Likes

Hello, don’t surrender… make an application plan and continue, have a plan B:
Application plan: it can be search a lot of companies that you are interested in, get human resources mails and write them, search in craiglist, indeed, angel.co, update your linkedin (doing a correct profile description). This, with the goal of sending 2 to 5 companies a request everyday, remember to have a look on them and maybe include why you would be a good match, or simply send that you are interested.
Plan B: if you have been a programer, why not try to develop your own idea?
Plan C: also, there are people doing applications for deaf people, why don’t participate on those as a programmer? maybe it could be interesting
Plan D: you can do it :slight_smile:
And… I’m out of ideas, but as a summary, make some realistic planning and execute it, and I’m sure it will lead you to what you want.

I forgot, also in stackoverflow.com/jobs you may found also some job offers

0 Likes

Hi @paskuvan, I’m also from Chile :smiley:

If you can, do it.

Chile is a small market, and ( with the exception of Santiago) there are no jobs for programmers (currently the unemployment rate is 8%, I don’t think it’ll get any better).

Note:

I’m unemployed and can’t get a job interview in my city.

Cheers and happy coding :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Hmm, I am sorry about this.

BTW, you just said you’ve been a programmer for 10 years right?

Build stuffs, build things people want, build things that solve people’s problem with programming, make the world a better place with programming, think!!! and create something. Create software and start making money (SaaS).

If you really want to work, the software will serve as your portfolio, you will notice companies will be looking for you after you’ve made something big and popular!

Just create something cool that people will like, someone made freecodecamp, someone made discourse forum, etc. Try to make something also!!!

Hoping to see you among the top lists, surprise the world! Wishing you goodluck!

0 Likes

Wow, I never thought it, what happened?

You should be to move other country, here doesnt have ADA disability.

Im unemployed since november 2018, Ive been to many jobs interviews but no well, as deaf is very dificult to find a job.

0 Likes

Thank you very much!!! you motivated me! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I know a person with 15+ years of experience (networking/sys admin) and it took him more than one year to find a job. He also had to go to a lot interviews, and only get the job after lowering (really low) his salary expectations.

Also (according to my research, outside Santiago) a web developer make minimum wage. I think is because
there are too many people looking for a job right now.

Cheers and happy coding :slight_smile:

1 Like