Notice anything about our forum that seems broken or suboptimal?

This happens often : When I hit reply to someone on a topic, I would enter my text as usual and see to whom i’m replying in the upper left corner of the edit box.

But when i’m done and published my answer, it’s as if I was replying to the thread, and not to that particular user. I then need to remove my comment and start over, it then generally works.

I would like forums.freecodecamp.com to show the Catagories page.

I’ve been here on and off for a week, and only new about certain sections in the forum because they were shown in the Latest section.

Or maybe I’m just stuck in the ages of the ‘invision’ bulletin boards

Categories

1 Like

@Bouncey I agree that some sort of Categorization will eventually need to be introduced. Already its getting messy with a lot a similar and parallel threads running in their own space, and bringing them together in an organized fashion would have to be helpful. There is some advantage to waiting awhile to get a better feel for how this platform will be used. The advantage is everyone will have a clearer picture of what needs to happen and how best to organize things. The downside is it will continue to get more tangled and difficult to use. But the long tern gains is probably worth the short term pain.

@rickstewart Its already there, but you have to navigate to it. See the link in @bnoden 's post

1 Like

@Bouncey Ha! @bnoden and I must have posted at almost the same moment, his post was not there when I replied to your post… Thanks for pointing that out. After playing with it a bit I find it is pretty useful. Although I found using the drop-down “all-categories” tab on the left is way more useful the the “Categories” tab on the right.

The admin can only change the default. We found that users are split 50/50 on this preference (it’s like a Vim/Emacs, Tabs/Spaces thing; let’s not get into it), so we leave the final choice up to the user! :innocent:

If you’re replying to the last post in the topic, we don’t show a reply-indicator at the top of your reply. This is done to reduce noise since this is a very common pattern. If you Edit your post it’ll show you in the top left corner if it is indeed recognised as a reply, like this:

3 Likes

Never noticed them really, if I get them I guess I get one more beer :ok_hand::beer:

Aha! I didn’t even realise it was a user-settable option. Thank you @erlend_sh!

I’m having trouble with the reply box, of all things. The only reason i’m able to post is the preview box is working just fine.
See enclosed screenshot.
I’ll post more details on GitHub.

Is anyone else noticing that they are needing to log in a lot more recently? It’s like my session tokens / cookies are expiring super quick.

Is it just me?

I thought it might be just my laptop eating the cookies, but my phone keeps logging out, too. It’s weird…

Not that I remember, but I’ll double check tomorrow - good thinking.

Hello,

I really love FCC. In 2 days I have completed more than 100 challenges, so I hope you do not take my comments the wrong way… So here I come:

1. FCC is supposed to be for absolute newbees…and the challenges themselves seem to take this into account. However, when you look for help/documentation… it is all a big mess…instead of a tutorial for Dummies on how to use FCC you give as too many confusing options… there is a chat, a forum, a blog, a wiki which apparently is “best accessed though a bot” which is placed at the chat? whaaaat??

2. For some reason, and probably a very good one, this forum is using Discourse…probably it will get to be a great Forum tool, but IMO it does not make things easy for new starters. I dont know how to follow conversations, I dont know how to start a comment (I replied to your first comment). the fonts are very small… Also, the categories… they seem random…

3. In most forums there is a section for new comers. Telling you how to use the forum. In this case, it would also be great to have a “how to get started” with FCC.In fact, I would even try to do it my self, or contribute with some kind of LOC… but I don´t know how.

4. If you want to make any comments to the challenges, or if you want to contribute to the explanations it looks like I have to use Github. Is that so? All this is really shocking to me. You have built a fantastic tool for learning to code but you fail on the things that we all give for granted… a tutorial, an easy to read forum, a list of the tools needed…

So, how can I help? Is this the place?? If I need to learn how to use GitHub I will (it was on my list anyhow). I read my own comments and they are also a mess. And that is exactly my point. How can I be progressing well with the coding part and not understanding even how to comment?.

Cheers, and dont let my comments put you back

I’ve been thinking about this myself, so you’re not alone.

I think the ‘on-boarding’ process for the forum could be better, since most are used to the old phpBB style forums.

Things like Markdown, especially code formatting, and some of the restrictions on new users can be a little bit of a road block.

We do get tonnes of new users, but not too many of them stick around. Those that do are awesome, so it would be great if we could help more people over those initial blocks.

1 Like

A permanent link at the top that said ‘new users’ read this that was broken down into sections that gave people the basics of markdown would be helpful (some places, especially those who use custom stuff built on rails have started to use markdown for user input - either with kramdown or redcarpet - i’ve used both and prefer kramdown for the ease of adding attributes, i use markdown to write my blog posts as good practice but haven’t yet implemented a code interpreting add-on like here).

One thing I’d explain is the ‘persistent reply box’ cause that thing freaked me out at first (if you don’t finish a reply) and i’ve been using internet forums since usenet

1 Like

Hi @fuesisla, thanks for your feedback.

We are in the process of transitioning our wiki articles over to our forum and simplifying CamperBot’s functionality in the chat room.

We use GitHub for a lot of things, including tracking issues. By clicking the “help” button, we’ll walk you through creating an issue.

Our forum is new, and we’re still working out ways to improve it. We’re open to specific suggestions you have. As for text being small, this is the first time I’ve heard this issue. Do you mean the text is small on your mobile phone?

Hi,

No, I am not using my mobile phone. I am using a 24 inches screen and resolution is 1920 x 1200 (connected as a 2nd display to my laptop.)… I made sure that the zoom is 100%. It looks much smaller than… wikipedia, for example. Interesting enough, when I link to wikipedia from my project in Codepen the font looks much smaller than it does when going to wikipedia directly. I guess I am just showing how little I know about these issues… at least I know how to change the zoom :grin:

I would have uploaded a screenshot for you to see but I dont know how to upload…maybe I should include a link to the files on my Synology Nas?

The reply box has an icon that looks like a tray with an arrow above it - that’s for ‘upload’ . Click on it and you should be able to upload from anything

1 Like