- null - null - null very much null

dorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

1 Like

Dont go for minimum wage, the second you undervalue yourself the company will just assume they can take the mick. Trust me on that.

Your plan to ask for a 50/50 split on the work seems sensible, but I wouldn’t raise the idea that you are willing to work for peanuts or free for the dev portion.

Instead, raise the desires you have with the appropriate manager and let them take the lead on making that work in a way that makes financial sense to you both.

They may not be thrilled at the prospect of starting at 50/50, but they might be able to plan a pathway for you.

The thing you do have going for you is that you are already a valued team member and presumably a culture fit. Starting this conversation also reveals that you are currently unhappy in your role, and should imply to them that you are looking for this new opportunity elsewhere, too. You don’t need to say that explicitly - it should be obvious that if you raise this and they just say no, then the countdown to you leaving has started.

I’d also suggest that you start seriously applying for jobs elsewhere now if you haven’t already. If you put all your eggs in one basket, you are more likely to be disappointed.

Good luck!

1 Like

I’m going to add another “don’t undervalue yourself” plea. I would encourage you to talk about the transition process as much as you can before getting into potential pay changes. If it was me, I would go into the conversation along the lines of “I enjoy working here and everyone has been great, but I’ve realized that I’m not excited about my career trajectory. As you know, I’ve been learning to code on my own time. I think I’m ready to transition to a technical role. Is that something I can do here at Whizbang Inc, and what would that process look like?”

I would also recommend that you start talking to the appropriate people on the technical teams to see if they are willing to cross-train you. Going into the conversation with that context can make a huge difference. I’ve worked with people who have changed roles and a commonality has been that the focus is on whether their new team wants them rather than if their old team is happy about losing them.

1 Like

Good luck!

This sounds like a sensible approach :slight_smile:

Yeah just casually being it up in a meeting that you want to try dev work / transition to a new dev role and begin the conversation. You don’t bring up compensation in fact low balling yourself is probably really bad in that spot because they can take advantage of you.

If they ask for a number just give the average software developer salary in your country.

I’m sorry to hear that the conversation didn’t go as you had hoped, but it sounds like you’re still on track to pursue your goals. Good luck!

IMHO your preparation wasn’t that good.

Your intro post only shows YOUR desires,
you want to become a developer,
you want to change this and that
etc.

That’s not how to win this game.

In the end your pitch was like:
“Hey, so I want to become a dev. Perhaps you, company, won’t win anything,
because you get a newbie coder. You also have to train me on the job.
You’ll lose a senior team member doing support, accounting, sales,
you have to find another employee for this job,
but that’s not my problem.”

So they would:

• lose a senior team member
  • have to find a new senior team member
  • have to train a newbie coder

Would YOU agree to this plan?