Our expanded curriculum is now live on beta.freecodecamp.com and we need your help QA'ing it

FCC and the Beta site do not use the same database.

2 Likes

Maybe there is a benefit of an alternative to the current beta? Maybe instead of discontinuing the following 2 certificates:

• Front End Development Certificate
  • Back End Development Certificate
    why not keep these original certificates by inserting them where appropriate in the new map? For me, those are the two milestones that I understand, value most, and fit what I am aiming for. Most of the new 6 milestones, it’s much less clear to me about if I reached my goal as Front End and Back End dev. JMO.
8 Likes

Just checked out the map and HOLY SHIT - this is awesome! I think i will be just me and FCC (beta) in the next 2 months ;D

1 Like

You just spoke my mind @QuincyLarson @P1xt @BenGitter please take note . Keep the original certificates by inserting them where appropriate in the new map it gives a clear distinction of what one can define their skill level as viz. front end / back end / full stack.

1 Like

You can simply split the certicates:

1. Responsive Web Design
  2. Javascript Algorithms And Data Structures
  3. Front End Libraries
  4. Data Visualization
  5. Apis And Microservices
  6. Information Security And Quality Assurance

1,2 and 3 is frontend. 3 contains basic things like Bootstrap and jQuery, but also React and Sass which are slightly more advanced and were previously included under data vis (though the challenges weren’t ready). Data visualization is obviously 4. And the last two are backend.

So if you finished the first 3 you would have a decent frontend background.

I don’t see the old certificates being added in somewhere, but maybe @QuincyLarson can comment on this. Because like @P1xt, I have nothing to do with the curriculum expansion.

3 Likes

my bad , mistook you as a mod .

Excellent. I"ve jumped in close to where I was on the regular stream and will finish the “Applied Visual Design” tonight. I was wondering off to the side of the FCC path, deepening my knowledge of CSS. This pulls me back on. So far it seems to be a big improvement in the learning flow.

I’ve started working my way through the map today, so from the very beginning and so I’m not sure it’s very useful for your Beta testing as I guess a lot have already jumped right into the projects.

I’ve just done Tribute Page and Survey Form and it’s really great. And I love the extra projects you’ve added.

I can’t wait to discover the rest, you’ve done such an amazing job !!!

2 Likes

The new Beta curriculum is intended as a replacement/expansion of the current curriculum. For the most part, the content in the curriculum now is still covered in the new curriculum. For example, instead of a Front End Certification now the content that was in the Front End is spread out between Responsive Web Design, the JavaScript section, and the Front End Libraries Section, except now each of these sections covers in more detail certain subjects that were omitted in the original curriculum. For that reason, it wouldn’t really make sense to just add in the current certificates.

Additionally, one key goal of the new curriculum is to make all the projects testable. It’s hard to write tests for some of the current curriculum projects, which is why some of these were moved to the optional bonus section. But this also means it would be hard to just add in the current certificates.

While the changing curriculum may be an inconvenience to campers currently in the midst of FCC, the overarching goal is to create an improved educational experience for all future campers. It would be difficult to make modifications to a curriculum like this without creating some inconvenience to anyone currently working through it, but the intention is to create an even better experience!

11 Likes

Don’t want to open an issue or pull request - so I’m just stating it here (and maybe it’s a bit subjective and device specific). This body .react class with its min-height of 650px really sucks. Every time a textual challenge pops up, it scrolls right to the bottom of the page and I’m seeing the wide white space on my netbook… Not so nice :o

Why BasicCss is before BasicHtml in beta CFF i cannot solve more of problem because of i didn’t know html ?! unlike LiveCFF ?! i think the map need some work ?

1 Like

Awesome curriculum additions!

Question > If I get my front end developers certificate before the change, will that stay on my profile after the change?

Your progress on beta.freecodecamp.com will stay on beta.freecodecamp.com and your progress on freecodecamp.com will stay on freecodecamp.com.

You can resubmit the URLs for projects you’ve completed. Everything else is optional, anyway, so you shouldn’t have to repeat a lot of effort.

Thanks - that is precisely our goal - to give campers more confidence in their work and reduce ambiguity.

3 Likes

Yes - this is a known issue that @BerkeleyTrue is actively working on fixing.

One of the reasons we’re discontinuing the Front End and Back End certificates is many campers mistakenly think that if they obtain one of these certificates, they’re ready to go get a job as a front end/ back end developer.

In reality, our intention was always that all campers would complete all of the first 1,200 hours before trying to get a job, as we think all web developers should have some basic grasp on all of these topics, even if they end up specializing as a front end or back end developer.

By changing the names of these certificates, we hope to eliminate this confusion and reinforce that these are all just skills that a web developer needs.

14 Likes

Silly question here. I’m going through some of the beta right now and finding typos here and there. Should I really go in and make separate issues for each one I find, or could I manually fix these via a pull request?

Updated curriculum looks Great! I’m excited to see the expanded certificates. I’ve to start all over again. amazing challenges!

1 Like

We’re still able to get the current certifications until they’re replaced, right?

Also, any word on the timeframe for this? I am getting close to a certificate and not sure if I should drop it or not. Days? Weeks? Months?

Thanks.

It’s funny but suddenly with what @P1xt and @QuincyLarson have said, I have another understanding of the certificate. I won’t deny it meant the world to me at first - for personal reasons, but now I just want to learn whatever’s out there. My certificate will be whatever I manage to do with it.

Of course I still want the little buggers as they’re the condition for working with NGOs at the end .

Oh, I shouldn’t post this here.