Own projects vs FCC

Hey guys,

I am currently divided since I don’t know how to proceed.

I have a lot ideas for own projects that would be fun and interesting to code, but on the other hand I lack knowledge (I am about to finnish the frontend part).
I would code them together with my brother (who has an education in databases and a lot of background knowledge), but neither of us ever worked with NodeJS nor made a dynamic website.

Is it possible to learn all the necessary things through learning-by-doing or should I continue to focus on FCC?
Or in other words: which way would be faster?

I would love to hear from people who mostly taught programming themselves by coding projects.

I will of course continue with FCC (because I genuinely love their way of teaching). I would just switch my focus.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

As someone who’s in debt to FCC for my programming skills: I would recommend doing your own projects. Learning by creating something you want is way more fun than creating something because someone asked you to.

The more projects you can do, the better. Plus, you can always come back to FCC anytime you want. :smile_cat: Good luck!

3 Likes

I would suggest to follow along with FCC and do the projects associated with the certifications.

Those projects are challenging and when completed are worth showing off to employers.