Personal Portfolio Webpage help!

Hi There,
Very new to coding. I know the basics through code academy and general searching. Had a great time on the first challenge but am completely stumped by the portfolio challenge. Is it just a case of searching and seeing what works best? I only know the basics of nav page etc so i will be doing a lot of googling. Is this normal? Any good sites for this?

Thanks for you help!

Theo

Hey, Theo :slight_smile:

I’m also on the portfolio challenge and I used FCC’s Map search function a lot to find concepts I’d worked on to see if I could apply them to my projects. https://www.w3schools.com/ has also been very helpful.

Googling is always an option but it can be hard to find the right phrasing to search for.

Are there particular things that you’re stuck on?

Hi guys, have being stuck here for a while. I am stuck at adding a logo to my header but can’t seem to make this work. Below is a bit of code fro me:

div class=“row”>
Personal Logo

• Home

• About

• Portfolio

• Conact
  • my logo resides at the link in src. but when I run this code it is just the alt text that shows up. Any ideas welcome on how to proceed.

Hi guys,

I believe I found the solution to my issue. Due to bandwidth issues, websites do not allow what is called “hot-linking” ie linking to your image from their sites. One way to get around this (the solution I found) is to use a CDN. There are sme CDNs which will host your mage for free and allow you link to it from your page.

Happy coding!!!

Stan

I’m starting the portfolio challenge also and am also stumped.

I think one of the great lessons from the movie The Martian is that when you are confronted with a problem to large to comprehend, break it into smaller pieces and work those.

Let’s look through the user stories.

1) User Story: I can access all of the portfolio webpage’s content just by scrolling.

Great! Just one page! This should just be a simple page with different sections stacked one on top of each other, different sections like about, portfolio, and contact.

2) I can click different buttons that will take me to the portfolio creator’s different social media pages.

OK. Can you create a button? Can you link that button to a web site? To your web site? Test it out. make sure you can.

3) I can see thumbnail images of different projects the portfolio creator has built (if you haven’t built any websites before, use placeholders.)

You can get dummy images that represent your fake pages. Can you show an image on your page? Can you arrange them in a grid?

4) I navigate to different sections of the webpage by clicking buttons in the navigation.

We already know how to create buttons. Do you know how to have them jump to different parts of the page?

My advice is to break things into small problems and test them. Don’t get too complicated too fast. Don’t make 10 changes at once until you’re a good enough coder to do that. Make one change and test. Make another change and test. Etc. And don’t get too complicated if you don’t need to.

Research those small problems and test them. Read-search-ask - it’s a great motto. If you get to the point where you are stumped, then ask the forum, but be specific. Don’t say “I’m stumped on this build.” Say, “I can’t figure out how to have a button link to a spot in the page.” Ask for small, specific problems and you’ll get better results. (And you could probably google that first and get 1000 results.)

Lastly, see what others have done. Yes, you can look at other people’s pages. Obviously try for yourself first, but if you’re stuck, see how someone else did it. As long as you understand what they did, you’re still learning.

Just keep it simple. You can go back and spruce it up later. This is what I did. I fully intend to go back and clean it up and improve it later, but it’s good enough for now.

1 Like

Thanks for the help guys. I’m chugging along and just need to stay patient and trust that I am learning new things by looking lots of coding solutions up on various websites. :slight_smile: