Please critique my Pomodoro Clock

http://www.braincells.com/webdev/pomodoro/

As usual I’m particularly interested in what you think of the design as colors and things are my weak point.

Hi, Jaldhar! the design of your app looks really nice, although the plus sign of the break length doesn’t seem to work for me. I would also made a start button or something like that - right now it’s not obvious how to start a timer.
At some point +/- of session length also stopped working (I’m using Chrome).
I’ve noticed a progress bar/circle on the tomato - it’s a good idea, looks cool. And would be even better if you’d changed the color of the progress circle to more contrasting to tomato.
Also, the advice from my design past — try to use as little various fonts as you can, and avoid using “pretty” fonts. If you’d like your designs to look more professional and contemporary - it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with material design.
Other than that - great start! Good luck with you app!

1 Like

Hi, Jaldhar! the design of your app looks really nice,

Hi Helga, Thanks for responding. Your comments are really useful to me.

although the plus sign of the break length doesn’t seem to work for me.

Whoopsie I refactored some method names and messed that one up. It should work now.

I would also made a start button or something like that - right now it’s not obvious how to start a timer.

I think a paragraph of instructions would be a good idea. I’ll add them.

At some point +/- of session length also stopped working (I’m using Chrome).

The break and session toggles are disabled when the counter is ticking. Is that what you mean?

I’ve noticed a progress bar/circle on the tomato - it’s a good idea, looks cool. And would be even better if you’d changed the color of the progress circle to more contrasting to tomato.

Ah I knew someone would say that. Originally I made the colors lightgreen and lightyellow but I could barely tell the difference. (And woe betide anyone who is actually color blind!) So I changed them to the current ones to better contrast with each other and the tomato. But I’m by no means wedded to them. What would you suggest?

Also, the advice from my design past — try to use as little various fonts as you can, and avoid using “pretty” fonts. If you’d like your designs to look more professional and contemporary - it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with material design.

I added the font for the title at the last minute only because the example does it. (And to be honest I wanted to use Comic Sans. :smile: ) it’s gone now. As for material design; I know about it and used it before but IMO it seemed incongruent with a big red tomato.

Hi, Jaldhar! The app is now working, everything’s fine!

The break and session toggles are disabled when the counter is ticking. Is that what you mean?

Yeah, I didn’t realise that. Wasn’t obvious to me. Maybe a little sign on mouse over when buttons are disabled will help?

Also the colors of the progress circle are much better now. I like that!

I’m still missing the start/stop buttons (not intuitive that the timer starts/stops on click) and the button to reset the timer to the initial state (I realised it when was testing it and wanted to go back without reloading the page).

Btw, did you mean to add a sound when the timer goes off? Might be just my settings, but I didn’t get any sounds/notifications when the session’d finished.

Other than that the app looks much cleaner now! Good job!

Sorry for the belated answer, hope it helps:)