Please review my Local Weather app

My take on the Local Weather app challenge

I’d love to hear feedback

Not working for me. :slight_frown:

Can you be more specific? What is not working?

Well, I may have spoken too soon, but still this could be improved upon I suppose…

This is all a user sees when first loading up the page. At this point, the app appears to be broken or in a non-functional state. It is not until a user clicks on either the Fahrenheit or Celsius buttons that any content is loaded. So, from a UX perspective, you might think about instead of showing a page with unloaded content you might instead show a page with perhaps simply a button to click first to then show the retrieved content based on whether or not they prefer a specific unit of measurement.

Also, I noticed that even if you click on one of those buttons, the temperature is not converted. See:

Additionally, the weather is not accurate to the user’s location. For example, I live in Seattle, WA and this is what I’m shown:

Outside of that it seems I was a bit quick off the line. Overall, you’ve used Bootstrap and the API to present the information in a pleasing way. :slight_smile:

Ah. I think I know the root of the problem: it’s unable to figure out your location. I’ve defaulted to Amsterdam, just in case, but I could never test that.

You’re right I could do a better job in that situation, so I’m going to try to improve that. But I’m still curious why it can’t find your location. I’ve struggled some time with the method used in the course. I could never get it to work, so I’ve switched to using a website: http://ip-api.com/json. Could you check if that website returns data that matches your location?

It does! It’s off a little as to be expected because it’s using my IP, but it’s a heck of a lot closer than Amsterdam. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve updated the Codepen and it should give a warning when it cannot find your location. So that situation should be handled better.

Can you check that?