Please review my resume

Hi all,
I just finished my portfolio site and getting ready to apply for junior front end jobs. Please review my resume and feel free to let me know if I need to alter anything. I really appreciate you help.
Thanks,
AnT

Great job on both your resume and your portfolio site. To add onto the above post, these are some minor things that I noticed:

Resume

• Your LinkedIn URL should be in all-lowercase letters (the second “i” seems to be upper-case).
  • Your GitHub URL is formed incorrectly. It should point to either your main GitHub account (github.com/annient48), or your GitHub Pages site (annient48.github.io). As it is now, it’s a broken link.
  • No need to separate Bootstrap 3 and 4. Just combine them and say “Bootstrap”.
  • There’s no real need to add operating systems to your skills. And unless you know both OSes really well (as in advanced knowledge of both—for example, in the case of Windows are you familiar with the Registry?), you should leave them off anyway.
  • You may want to consider re-naming the Project Experience section to Personal Projects, so it’s clear to an average reader that those aren’t work experience.
  • In your Work Experience section, you should be consistent with formatting and use a general format of [company name] followed by [city, state].
  • Recruiters and HR personnel always like to see work experience in terms of numbers, so if you can quantify anything that you did, you should try and do that. For example, if something that you did was X% faster than before, or saved X dollars, that’s usually a better way to put things.

Portfolio site on GitHub Pages

• Great job overall on this one. The only thing I noticed was that you have some errors being reported by the W3C Validator, and Google PageSpeed Insights is reporting low scores on both Mobile and Desktop, so you should try and improve those.
  • You shouldn’t be saying that you’re a self-taught front-end developer when you have a CS degree, as the “self-taught” label is generally applied to those who don’t have a STEM-based college education. You can just say that “I am a front-end developer” in your case.
1 Like

Hi @camperextraordinaire and @astv99,
Thanks for your feedbacks. I have modified my resume again (for some reason, it appears as 2 pages when I upload in drive) as well as portfolio page based on your advice. Please feel free to let me know if I still need to correct something.
Thanks, AnT

The updated resume looks much better. Just pay attention to your formatting—the date for your IT HelpDesk Technician goes onto 2 lines, for example. Btw, you don’t need to have both GitHub URLs, just one of them—since your GitHub Pages (.io) site has a link to your main GitHub profile, just use that one.

I read your Personal Projects in a little more detail, and would simply recommend you to write the stuff on your resume with the assumption that it’s going to be read by a recruiter, HR manager, or other “average” person, and not another developer. You should avoid using language like ‘Initialized classes with “self” instance’ and ‘Created an array of objects in JavaScript’, even if that’s exactly what you did, because only developers will understand that, and in most cases, they won’t be the people reading your resume. Make your wording easy to understand for an average person—or as the saying goes, so your mom can understand it.

Also keep in mind that your resume and portfolio site should be free of all spelling & grammar mistakes. Use a spell checker—if your word processor doesn’t have one built-in, there are plenty of free ones available online. And you can use this site to spell-check your portfolio site, you’ll need to run it once for every unique page that you have: https://typosaur.us/

1 Like

@AnT48 Checkout this free resume builder. First resume is free and just have to use on of the templates.

1 Like

Some important typos on your portfolio:
interective: interactive
enternal: eternal

Yeah. I would add more movies to the project. As a front end dev I’ll make the wild guess that you will be dealing with complex apis and need to be able to get the data you need from them so it’s a good idea to get practice with actual apis and not simple hard-coded ones u created. I’m sure there are movie apis out there you could use to make that app great.

I’m also not a big fan of a quote generator or a tribute page being on a resume (very simple). Unless it’s super spectacular. Where is your simon? Where is your twitch?

Also, I’m cs as well and so you have any cs projects you worked on in school? Maybe you could add them.

Your portfolio is a good start, but you have to remember competition is tough and you might need more than a hard-coded movie app with 6 or so movies and a random quote generator and a pixel app. Your objective is blowing the socks off of these recruiters and make them think “we have to get this person before someone else will”

2 Likes

Hi there! These posts were already a long while ago so hope you already got a Developer job. If not, I will give you some tips to build your experience as a Web Developer which will help you easier to get a job.

You have already mentioned everything in your resume, but there is still one thing missing and that is your cover letter.