Portfolio advice

Hey guys im going to start working on my portfolio site to display my latest work i was just wondering what javascript framework would be most appropriate. Should i use a framework? just wondering before i start developing.

Being a beginner I’d reason using a framework wouldn’t be too bad. After all you want to show your skills and so you can show how you use appropriate framework(s) to create a neat product.

Writing all “by hand” could show your low level abilities, but it could also give the notion of being clumsy or too uninformed to get a job done efficiently…

Personally I would just write your portfolio in vanilla HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, unless it’s really really fancy.

Most portfolio sites are like landing pages. There’s not much too them and I don’t think a framework like React would be appropriate.

If you wanted to show your skills with a framework I would make a separate project with it and then you could feature that on your portfolio site.

4 Likes

This.
On your personal portfolio, you don’t care. Just use react and other “fancy” stuff in your personal project.
It’s where it is the most important.
Just use vanilla js, it’s enough and will prove that’s you don’t rally to much on framework.

Firstly, do you have prior web development experience? Because if you don’t, it wouldn’t make sense to use a framework (in my opinion) for your very first project. Like others mentioned, it’s probably best to go plain “vanilla” and try out your skills on this fairly simple project.
On the other hand if you have prior experience and you are doing the FCC curriculum as a non-beginner, then that’s a different story.

Yup thats also what i was thinking this is also good practice using the react framework. I’ve been developing for 6 months on my 2nd internship.And react jobs are in my area

Yup thats also what i was thinking this is also good practice using the react framework. I’ve been developing for 6 months on my 2nd internship.And react jobs are in my area

Personally I am under the impression that a portfolio should be a good representation of who are are, and should be a showcase of work you have done and your skills.

That said, don’t overcomplicate it trying to “use” all these frameworks when the person looking at it probably isnt going to care. It needs to grab the viewers attention enough, that they want to look more and then show off what you can do in the projects you include. An employer isnt going to look through the source code of a website, if he has been sent 20 applications… (Just my opinion).

Make the website to the best of your ability using whatever the hell you want, but make it interesting and make it stand out! Then within, show that you can use React, Angular etc etc

There are some decent examples here --> https://www.siteinspire.com/websites?categories=19
The best examples are the simple ones that showcase the work of the creator.