Portfolio - Feedback Requested

Looking for feedback on my portfolio page. I am very new to all of this, so any pointers etc. would be awesome. I found most help from the W3School and that is where I based most of my code from.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @rainiemills,

HTML validator:

• Error: No doctype found (the “!” is the problem):
<DOCTYPE html!>

MDN documentation:
Doctype - MDN Web Docs Glossary: Definitions of Web-related terms | MDN

In HTML, the doctype is the required <!DOCTYPE html> preamble found at the top of all documents.

----
  • Error: not valid declared value ( you need an “equal” sign ):
<meta charset"utf-8"> 

MDN documentation:
<meta>: The metadata element - HTML: HyperText Markup Language | MDN

Example:

<meta charset="utf-8">

----
  • Do not use lower levels to decrease heading font size:
<h1>RAINIE MILLS</h1>
  <h3>Designer <i class="fa fa-spinner fa-spin" style="font-size:24px"></i> Creator <i class="fa fa-spinner fa-spin" style="font-size:24px"></i> Visionary</h3>

MDN documentation:
<h1>–<h6>: The HTML Section Heading elements - HTML: HyperText Markup Language | MDN

Do not use lower levels to decrease heading font size: use the CSS font-size property instead.Avoid skipping heading levels: always start from <h1>, next use <h2> and so on.

HTML Standard

h2–h6 elements must not be used to markup subheadings, subtitles, alternative titles and taglines unless intended to be the heading for a new section or subsection. Instead use the markup patterns in the §4.13 Common idioms without dedicated elements section of the specification.

Common Idioms
HTML Standard

Cheers and happy coding :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the comments. I fixed the items you pointed out and read every link, this was very helpful!

If I understand it correctly, this should solve - “Do not use lower levels to decrease heading font size:”

<h1>RAINIE MILLS</h1>

<p id="tagline">Designer <i class="fa fa-spinner fa-spin" style="font-size:24px"></i> Creator <i class="fa fa-spinner fa-spin" style="font-size:24px"></i> Visionary</p>

If not, please let me know. Again thank you so much for your time.

Hi @rainiemills,

It looks good to me :+1:

Cheers and happy coding :slightly_smiling_face:

Note: new url for common idioms:
HTML Standard