Problems with Setting Up Stephen Grider's Modern React with Redux Udemy Course

I’m running into some problems with setting up this repository for Stephen Grider’s Modern React with Redux Udemy course.

Basically I cloned it and ran npm install. Upon running npm start, I get an error Cannot find module ‘C:\Users\sgoldber\Documents\udemy_tutorials\ReduxSimpleStarter\node_modules\webpack-dev-server\bin\webpack-dev-server.js’

I talked with someone on the gitter chat, and he suggested that I should in package.json, replace “start”: “node ./node_modules/webpack-dev-server/bin/webpack-dev-server.js”, with “start”: “webpack-dev-server --open”

That resulted in the error Error: Cannot find module ‘webpack’

I don’t understand why I have this error: webpack and webpack-dev-server are in package.json, but they seem to not be showing up in my node_modules folder.

There’s a discussion here that deals with this exact particular problem and I tried some of their suggestions: nothing seemed to work.

Please let me know as soon as possible what to do! I am starting on the full-stack back end projects (i.e. the voting app) and really need a good refresher on React, and I need to learn Redux on top of that. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Have you tried installing webpack and the dev server globally?

1 Like

So, I did the above, and it fixed that error.

However, upon running npm start, I get another error:

ERROR in multi (webpack)-dev-server/client?http://localhost:8080 ./src/index.js
Module not found: Error: Can’t resolve ‘babel’ in ‘C:\Users\sgoldber\Documents\udemy_tutorials\ReduxSimpleStarter’
@ multi (webpack)-dev-server/client?http://localhost:8080 ./src/index.js
webpack: Failed to compile.

How does one fix this error?

Edit: I changed in webpack.config.js loader: ‘babel’ to loader: ‘babel-loader’

That caused a (new) large number of errors, mostly Module not Found errors involving react, redux, ./…/…/process/browser.js and it is really unintelligible.

I really cannot believe that such a popular udemy course has such problems at the very beginning and am so frustrated and dumbfounded. I even did this course a few months ago when I was first learning React for the beginning of the data visualization projects and it worked just fine… :persevere::sob:

I’ve gone through that course myself, but rather than download his repo, I just set up with Create React App and downloaded dependencies as I needed them. I was able to get all the way through with no problems.

2 Likes

I am going to try this. Seems twice as instructive also!