Progress Missing

I signed up using email logged in and was able to do 80 steps, when I logged in today all my progress has gone…

100% sure I’m using the correct email and password, and that I logged in using FireFox

Did you clear your web browser’s local storage?

There are two different types of progress being saved going on at Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

Your completed challenges are all saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges and also the last submitted solutions by looking at your profile page.

If your profile does not include your completed challenges, here is my troubleshooting advice:

1. Double check that you used the same method to sign in. Try logging out and back in again with the original method.
  2. Double check that you aren’t on the beta site now and that you didn’t create your original account on the beta site by accident. (Yes, this does happen.)
  3. Contact team@freecodecamp.com . The most likely scenario is that your account got duplicated when you signed in and you are being logged into the new one. When that happens, someone on the team can merge your accounts. Please be patient when emailing the team. Remember that there are thousands of campers, a small team, and this is all volunteer-driven.

Your progress tracking (map) is saved in your browser’s local storage. In-progress code is also saved in your local browser cache. If you are changing browsers or clearing your cache regularly you’ll have to use freecodecamp.com/map to navigate to your next challenge. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache. This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning.

I think using a different browser is the culprit here as that’s the only change that occurred and this is a brand new account so I’m 100% sure I’m logging in with the correct email. Shouldn’t it be stored within the account?

I’m having the same problem. I was at ~130 progress, did it all on my laptop with Firefox. Yesterday, I signed into my account with my ipad & Safari and now all my progress is gone, I only have left what I’ve done since yesterday. I didn’t clean the cache or anything in either browsers and logging out and back in doesn’t help. Is it a case of duplicated account? I noticed that the “new” account doesn’t show my usual user name but a letters & numbers combo.

I went back to my other laptop and the progress is now lost on that one as well. I never logged out from this browser and when I checked the progress in a new tab, it went back to 1. Here’s a screenshot. https://www.screencast.com/t/H9y0z3lfmxiq.

As you can see the old profile pic does not show which I didn’t mind at all but when it went back to 1, a new profile pic is displayed.

My unique profile id for the account did not change as well. I’m sure it’s the same as the FB group I joined asked it from me and if I used that link, it leads back to the same account.

As I said above, completed challenges are saved to your account.

I know that there were recent database issues. This is why sign in was temporarily disabled.

Hi his is a great website and the idea is very good, but what I find puzzling is this is built by expert software/web developers so how can the database duplicate an account, within the short period of time since I have joined there are loads of others having the same problem,

I have logged into thousands if not 10’s of thousands of websites and I have never come across this problem, especially for a website that’s written in the exact thing your teaching…

Changing browsers, clearing cookies etc shouldn’t make you lose hours and hours of work…

I’m not knocking or moaning, your offering this for free and I very much appreciate that, but just because it is free doesn’t mean there should be quiet major issues, spending 6 hours learning to lose it all because of some coding problems in the back end does not fill you with confidence…

based on the amount of people I have seen that have had this same problem, I think this should be addresses as a matter of urgency

I believe that the underlying cause of the occasional duplicate account issue (which is not usually what is actually happening) traces back to the fact that in the early days of FCC you could create accounts using several methods (email, facebook, github, etc). I know that I get burned every couple of months with services that do this.

To be clear: no submitted work is lost due to browser changes. All successfully completed and submitted challenges are saved to your account and can be pulled up through your profile page. Most of the time when campers think they have an account problem, it’s just that they aren’t seeing their previous code pre-populate in challenge consoles. FCC uses the local cache to preserve whatever you had typed into the browser (whether or not it was submitted).

Ariel

Thanks I appreciate your response.

So what’s the best way to move forward, I have emailed team@ but I have not heard back yet,

do I just login and start again? or is it best to wait and see what they come back with… I’m just keen to get on…

Thanks

Trevor

You verified that your completed challenges are not on your profile? (It looks like you used a different username for the forum, so I couldn’t check).

If so, then you can just continue from where you were. Only the challenges marked with a * are required, so you can skip the ones you’ve already done. Saving your solutions externally is always a good idea. I like having my work in more than one place.

I think for my case I lost my progress after signing up for the forum with my github profile. I used my email address to sign up for FCC. I thought you had to use a different account for the forum as it still required me to sign up even if I’m logged in to FCC.

In the end, it’s not a big issue for me as I still wanted to review the past challenges however I did notice that my solutions were still visible. I just needed to resubmit it to complete the challenge.

The forum and FCC accounts aren’t related (although I recommend using the same username). It sounds like YOU ended up with 2 FCC accounts. I take it that you’re all set now?

I cannot access my “old” profile at all. I emailed the team and got an automated email back which said I should go to this support forum. Haha. And a thread further down on this board about the same problem only says to log out and back in, which I’ve already done 3000 times (+ delete cookies and try different browsers), it doesnt work.

Hi Ariel

How long does it take to hear back from team@freecodecamp.com. i emailed a few weeks ago now but nothing,…

Regards

Trevor

I’ve just found out that the email address is no longer active. Now you should go to https://www.freecodecamp.org/support for technical issues.