Progress Reset, completed tasks not saving

I’ve been working on the FreeCodeCamp website (not the beta) and when I logged into today the whole website looks changed it does not show that I have anything completed in the curriculum page. Not only does it look like my progress is gone but It’s not saving any of my progress when I try to start from the begging, I am at a loss for what to do

They are fixing current issues.

Should I just wait? I am scared that by trying to start at the beginning that I reset my progress

One more question here.
I also completed 287 exercises and switched to
work on the projects.
Initial tasks had a general description and did not mention
any mandatory tags/html structures that should be used
to had unit tests passed.

My question also comes under this topic:
All solutions that were marked as ready
will preserve their status
or
will fail because they did not fit to the structure
of the unit tests?

Thanks.

How long do we need to wait before the site is corrected?

This is a major change that represents over a year’s worth of development. Pushing applications changes into a production environment is an extremely difficult and problem-prone area of development. All I can tell you is that everyone involved in this process is devoting their entire day and full attention to it.

1 Like

When the updates are fully implemented and running, there will be an announcement of the changes and what they mean.

Folks usually update or migrate, etc… stuffs on the weekend (aka Sunday afternoon/night) and test it out. We know FCC work hard to help us (the ones know next to nothing), but please consider the time to migrate “a year’s worth of development” (if there are more events like this in the future). It’s hard enough for me to learn and retain the materials, much less getting more confused and stress.

We are grateful for FCC works, however. Thank you.

FCC actually tracks when its peak traffic times are. They keep track of what days of the week and what times of day have the most use. FCC is most heavily used on the weekends (EST) and least heavily used mid-week during times that correspond to business hours on the US East Coast.

The main twitter pages says to do a hard browser refresh (ctrl F5 on Windows) to see your progress, and it works! Thanks FCC for all your hard work! It was just a little scary for a second not knowing what had happened.

One last thing is that the very first introduction sections (i.e. Introduction to Basic HTML & HTML5) don’t seem to check off when you read them. I am not sure if this is a bug or if that’s how its supposed to work

My guess is that it should check off, but since there isn’t actually a solution associated with it the checkmark isn’t checking. That’s just a blind assumption though. There’s going to be some bugs, even though this went through a long beta period.

How many years do we need to wait for this to be fixed. I can’t progress on the challenges. Nothing is saved…!

There are two different types of saved progress for Free Code Camp: your profile and your browser cache.

A list of your completed challenges is saved to your account in the FCC database. You can see the list of completed challenges by looking at your public portfolio. With a growing curriculum already over 1,400 lessons and a growing user base several times that size, FCC does not store every solution to ever challenge to it’s database. There are some challenges which are classified as projects required for certifications. Your solutions to those can be viewed on your settings page.

Your in-editor code is saved in your browser’s local storage. Recent in-progress code from the challenge editor is also saved in your local browser cache when you run tests. Because FCC rolled out a completely new application, the old cached values are no longer valid. This is the same effect you would have if you cleared your browser cache. If you are completing lessons and do not see your recent code, then something is preventing FCC from writing to your browser’s storage. This could be a browser setting, a privacy extension, or a browser version incompatibility. Especially as you get to more complicated challenges that may take multiple sessions, I strongly recommend saving your in-progress work outside of the browser cache.

This is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of your GitHub account, but you can also just save locally or use a service like repl.it which allows for versioning. The FCC team is working on creating an easy way for campers to download a solution when a challenge is completed. You can help add useful tools like this by being a contributor .

1 Like