I have some questions for freelance web developers. I am going to start college in January and would like to use the skills that I have developed over the past year to earn money online while going to school.
Right now, I have a lot of theoretical knowledge but little practical knowledge - meaning that I have gone through a lot of courses but haven’t really built anything of my own - at least not anything that I want to show off.
I’d like to earn an income as a web developer and have the flexibility that working online affords, but I’m not very knowledgeable of what it’s like to be a freelance web developer.
- What is the most common task that you are hired for? Small things, big things?
- How much do you charge for those task, and how long do they take to complete?
- How many hours a day do you typically work?
- How do you find clients? Do they contact you mostly or do you reach out to them on sites like Upwork?
- What does a typical contract look like?
- I do not consider myself to be very good at web design, how often do you need to design a site from scratch?
- What type of task do you usually prefer?
I’m stressed about this. I need to save up some money for a down on a car, and then I need to work to pay off all of the debt that I’m going to incur in the near future - the move, buying everything for my first apartment, ect.
Node/NPM/Gulp/Express/MongoDB/Mongoose/Redis and more.