React/ Goodreads API: fetch works but `this.state.state` result won't change

This is sort of a continuation from an earlier post I made regarding a React application that let’s a user fetch data from Goodreads’ API by typing a search query.

Since then, I’ve made a repo on GitHub that includes files for a backend api relay (which checks out when I test it on Postman), and frontend files (including components for the search bar and results).

Here’s is where I am stuck:

IMPORTANT NOTE: I’m currently experimenting with two different fetch files (fetchResults.js and fetchResultsAlt.js). Right now, the repo contains code that works with the fetchResultsAlt.js file.

When I enter a search on the page and click the “Search” button, it triggers handleClick() (seen below).

handleClick() {
    const {search_query} = this.state;
    if(!search_query) return;
    this.setState({
      loading: true,})
    fetchResultsAlt(search_query)
      .then((results) => {
        this.setState({results, loading: false})
      })
    console.log(this.state.search_query)
    console.log(this.state.results)
  }

According to dev tools, my fetchResultsAlt() from fetchResultsAlt.js is getting the data I want (as seen in the console in the picture below).

But when I call fetchResultsAlt() in index.js, this.state.results does not update with the fetched data; it remains an empty object (also seen below).

I also noticed that when I enter another search query (without refreshing the page first), this.state.result is logged as undefined.

Any thoughts or advice as to how to why this is happening? I assume it could be that the component with this.state.results hasn’t unmounted, but I could be mistaken.

Ok, I added another .then() to reset the results to an empty object. But nonetheless, it still won’t set to the fetched JSON object in from fetchResultsAlt().

Can you put your code on Codepen or repl.it, so it’s easier to test and debug?