Realized i learned a framework i won't need, starting to feel like i am just wasting my time

Hi everyone.

I started learning python a good 3 and something years ago, (on and off , with the past 7 months being the longest period), and although the feeling of having so much to learn is common to everyone, in my case its a bit discouraging as i have not progressed for the past 4 months while keeping it regular .

in trying to bruteforce myself out of those muddy waters i decided to start a project: to make a personnal library that will make it easier to build turn based games (from chess to card games with multiple players), after realizing it was way too ambitious i decided to build just a four in a row game with time limit per player.

thats when i started veering off and just learned new things without having an idea where to implement them, wanting to first build the game logic before applying it in a GUI, i found it very challenging to build the clock that will start when its the player’s turn and pause afterwards, all of that can easily be done in a GUI but i was stubborn to code all the logic outside of it, and ended up brushing on threading module, asyncio, curses module without even knowing what they are really used for.

Finally i gave up on the idea and just decided to learn pyqt5 (used tkinter before) and now 2 weeks later i just don’t see why i decided to learn it … maybe i am just spooked by projects and want to hide in tutorials … :frowning:

if anyone know some good python projects on github i can contribute to, it will help with this feeling of not having done enough .

1 Like

It sounds like you are in what is becoming commonly known as “tutorial hell”. It’s very easy to spend months following one tutorial after another and not feel like you know how to do anything on your own.

The fact that you learned a nicer toolkit like Qt instead of the ancient and godawful tkinter seems to me like you got something out of it. Time spent learning is never time wasted.

BTW, go with asyncio and the concurrent lib, don’t bother with threading. Python’s threading library is very low-level and you will enter a world of pain trying to manage concurrency with it.

And yeah, watch out for procrastination-via-study, aka “tutorial hell”. I think I’ve read about 9000 times more Haskell blog articles than I’ve spent actually practicing Haskell. :roll_eyes: