Recommended Webhosts?

If your site it is static check out Netlify

It’s have a lot of great features and FREE!

This is worthy of a Medium blog post if you have time for that. Hosting my own website on a home server setup is something that I have on my to-do list for some day projects. I may prioritize this though if you share details that make a great case for it.

My main concerns are scalability. Starting out with low traffic, i don’t foresee issues. If requests and traffic increased, hardware and ISP bandwidth could present bottleneck problems.

What sort of hardware are you using for your server/s? Do you have any limitations with your local ISP?

1 Like

Would you rather me do a video or a medium post ? I went through a lot of trouble setting up my server and could really save you a lot of time.

I am running a dell poweredge r710. I have about 7 sites running on one server from one IP address.

Either a blog or a video would be good if you want to do it. Otherwise you can just give us the overview here.

Are you not afraid of becoming more vulnerable to hacks, having opened ports for the server? Or are you using different internet connections for the server and for personal use?

@JJ1891 are you talking to me ?

okay, i will work on a blog.

1 Like

Yes, sorry for not referencing, in a way I was talking to everyone who wanted to host their own servers. Of course I might be wrong, but I thought the need to access the server and the increase in traffic could somehow make the private use internet connection less secure. And thanks for making a blog!:slight_smile:

the only ports that are open on my firewall are 443 and 80. With my physical firewall and the UFW firewall that is in Ubuntu - I am pretty secure. Not to mention that all my traffic runs through cloud flare before reaching my server.

I’m curious, for those of you who have your own servers at home, how do convince your clients to trust that your “home” servers will keep their websites running 24/7?
Personally, I wouldn’t be comfortable having my business website sitting on a home server.

1 Like

the client does not care where your server is nor do they need to know. All that matters is that you secure it , keep it up and running, and in return their website/web application stays up and running. its actually an easy process and I am working on writing a blog about it .

1 Like

I’ve not been able to figure out how to have more than 1 page on Github pages.
Your main page is located at username.github.io but creating a subfolder like username.github.io/folder will not show on the web. Any ideas?

I’ll be curious to read it. What happens if your server is accidentally turned off or if there’s a fire, or etc… In my mind, a server would be located in a safe place with several redundencies, not in a person’s living room in a house. I disagree with your statement about the client not needing to know where the server is. The client should know what server is being used (if they have a website generating revenue anyway). Keep us posted with the blog.
Cheers

1 Like

will do, I am creating a blog completely centered around setting up servers, etc. I will answer all your questions there. Also, if your server goes off then your websites on that server are down. That is the fun part of keeping a server up and hosting one your self. you get to handle real world scenarios and learn by doing so :slight_smile:

For some reason, this never occurred to me. I will absolutely be switching to my own server ASAP.

If you haven’t already got it in, could you write a bit about the cost effectiveness of using CloudFlare vs renting out a VPS? My DigitalOcean server is about $5 per month, so if I need to pay for the lowest non-free tier of CloudFlare, it’s roughly 4x the cost, but I don’t know how effective any of the tiers are in practice.

1 Like

GitHub pages serve the index.html file in each directory.

Multi-page sites are definitely possible. If your user name was “Soupedenuit” with a repo name “MyGHPages”, and directory structure looked like this:

├── folder-1
│   └── index.html
├── folder-2
│   └── index.html
└── index.html

Then you should have valid links at:

will do. thanks for the input as this will help me put valuable information in the blog post

Thanks for your help - I will definitely try this!
Cheers

@PortableStick @Soupedenuit I see so many questions online and I am asked questions all the time about running sites on your own servers, how to run multiple sites from one IP, etc.

When looking online, you never really get a clear understanding or a full answer. I created a Site dedicated to helping Developers find server side support. That’s where I will start blogging also.

1 Like

That sounds like a very fun and enriching experience. I’ll do try that too asap :slight_smile: