Resume, cv and any other tips

Resume, cv and any other tips

Hi, I am 26 years old. I went into web development about 2 years ago, but last half a years I started taking it my potential future career.

Check out my CV
and Cover Letter

Applied to plenty of places, but always I heard that I am lacking experience. What do you think about it? Where and what should I improve?

Hmmm. It seems pretty good. I think the color scheme could be working against you, but that’s unlikely to be a major issue. You may want to condense the top summary into something just about the hackathon, I’m not sure how much these sentences help your candidacy:

I am a front-end web developer with React.JS. I started web development two years ago as a personal interest, and since then I have gained the most of my skills through project-based learning…Also, I achieved a few professional certificates to structure my knowledge and confirm my skills.

The omitted part could be a bullet point.

Of course, resume best practices seem to be a mixed bag. I would also be concerned that you don’t have the URLs available. I don’t know if recruiters view resumes on computers always, exclusively, but if they do look at in print, then they won’t have anything to type in.

As for your portfolio, it looks good. Seems responsive checking with Chrome Dev Tools. This sentence is a little awkward for me grammar-wise and also has a typo:

I am a front-end web developer living in London. Look up my info to see, what do I work with or check out my lastest projects.

Your portfolio page has this, which you should fix:

<title>Weather App</title>

Lastly, I think you’ve done great work so far with the projects from FCC. However, it seems you’re missing any truly “personal” projects. What are you passionate about? Can you make something related to it?

As well, your projects don’t look like “websites” but moreso (and, probably appropriately) just projects you did as part of a curriculum. On your next project, it may help to give it some finishing touches (which I can tell you are more than capable of) that make it look like a modern website, e.g. a menu bar, hamburger icon for small screens, full-screen image backgrounds, footers, etc. Check out any website you frequent (news website, Medium, etc.) and take a look at the “extras” that make their website different from yours. I don’t have any evidence that this is important, but I started feeling a lot better about my projects when I started adding these finishing touches. And, the best part is, once you take that time to shine up one project, you can usually cannibalize that code for your next one, with a couple CSS changes and editing the text.

You say you hear back that you’re lacking experience. Are these automated replies? Or are you getting into interviews and then coming up short? Where you’re at now, I think you have the skills you need. But, for example, it may help to consider what sets you apart right now from someone else that just finished FCC’s front-end libraries if, say, you all applied for the same job.

You’ve clearly put in a lot of effort, and have a good foundation. I don’t think anyone can get as far as you have without knowing how to make a website. The job search, unfortunately, isn’t 100% just that sadly :cold_sweat: Keep up the good work, keep learning, and try some little things to set yourself apart and you’ll get there.

First, get rid of that yellowish color in your CV. It’s unreadable.

Your projects/github doesn’t back up your “Skills” section. All projects are very basic and most of your github repos don’t have any source code (only bundled/minimized code).

If you don’t have CS degree you need to prove that you’ll be able to do the work. Three months of GitHub history doesn’t prove anything. You need a project that’s not trivial and something that people can click around to evaluate your skillset. Also it should be something “regular folk” will understand (don’t create an RPG game). Good suggestions are to clone Netflix or Spotify (e.g. my Spotify clone always had positive feedback).

Also regarding your cover letter - it should be tailored to a particular position you’re applying to, but I’d say that everything past the first paragraph should be removed.

So clean up your GitHub from minimized/bundled files (it should be a place where people can see the source code) and start working on some bigger project(s).

And keep applying. Even if all you get are rejections or no answer. That’s the most objective test.

Your “Skills” section seems a bit confused. Why do you list “ReactJS Router” first rather than simply “React”? React Router is just one routing library for React and isn’t particularly complex to master (compared to React itself). Also, “API” isn’t really a skill, any more than “markup” or "for loops" is a skill. Even if you narrow it to “web APIs”, that’s still too broad to provide useful information.

Regarding “NPM”, I’d say that’s legit if you’ve published an NPM package or if you’re familiar with advanced NPM commands, not so much if you just mean you can type npm i etc.

All the other skills look good (I’m not a big fan of specifying “ES6”, “HTML5”, etc. but it’s a necessary evil to get past automated CV scrapers).

Guys, thank you very much for honest opinions. They were kind of eye opener and motivation kick I needed to keep going and not give up.

I am in process of implementing these changes and working on bigger project.

I will post soon .Thank you again

1 Like