Sass won't install on my mac

Hey guys,

I’m trying to install sass on my mac, I’ve tried using the sudo command and I’ve installed xcode-select a as well. I get the following error:

d192-075-242-026:~ tahirahmad$ sudo gem install sass
Building native extensions. This could take a while…
ERROR: Error installing sass:
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb

checking for ffi.h… *** extconf.rb failed ***
Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary
libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more details. You may
need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
–with-opt-dir
–without-opt-dir
–with-opt-include
–without-opt-include={opt-dir}/include --with-opt-lib --without-opt-lib={opt-dir}/lib
–with-make-prog
–without-make-prog
–srcdir=.
–curdir
–ruby=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/bin/ruby
–with-ffi_c-dir
–without-ffi_c-dir
–with-ffi_c-include
–without-ffi_c-include={ffi_c-dir}/include --with-ffi_c-lib --without-ffi_c-lib={ffi_c-dir}/
–with-libffi-config
–without-libffi-config
–with-pkg-config
–without-pkg-config
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/mkmf.rb:434:in try_do': The compiler failed to generate an executable file. (RuntimeError) You have to install development tools first. from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/mkmf.rb:549:in block in try_compile’
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/mkmf.rb:502:in with_werror' from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/mkmf.rb:549:in try_compile’
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/mkmf.rb:1038:in block in have_header' from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/mkmf.rb:889:in block in checking_for’
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/mkmf.rb:340:in block (2 levels) in postpone' from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/mkmf.rb:310:in open’
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/mkmf.rb:340:in block in postpone' from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/mkmf.rb:310:in open’
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/mkmf.rb:336:in postpone' from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/mkmf.rb:888:in checking_for’
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/mkmf.rb:1037:in have_header' from extconf.rb:16:in

Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/ffi-1.9.18 for inspection.
Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/ffi-1.9.18/ext/ffi_c/gem_make.out

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Try sudo xcodebuild -license and then do sudo gem install sass

Thank you, that solved it. Really appreciate the help :slight_smile: