Serious laptop performance issues

if there’s a better place for this thread, let me know. But straight to the point
I’m having some serious performance issues. Just completing the challenges on FCC.
The only application i have running on my pc is firefox, with one window and one tab on FCC. nothing else.
Im running into severe lag sometimes. Delayed keyboard input, mouse dragging along. It’s hard to believe that even though its 5 years old i cant do simple web browsing or completing challenges on FCC.
I appreciate any advice.

Computer
Processor 2x AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics
Memory 3628MB (1083MB used)
Operating System Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

Display
Resolution 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Gallium 0.4 on AMD PALM (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version
Kernel Linux 4.4.0-53-generic (x86_64)
Compiled #74-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 2 15:59:10 UTC 2016
C Library Unknown
Default C Compiler GNU C Compiler version 5.4.0 20160609 (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.4)
Distribution Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

forgot to mention, I tried those Distro’s as well. I even went to puppy linux.
Not sure what to do next. This is getting frustrating when all im doing is trying to learn.
I don’t use this laptop for anything else but to code.

The question is, is it the laptop or is it the connection.

On the laptop side, check the running processes to make sure you don’t have something killing your performance. A virus for example could be hijacking a large portion of your resources. If you don’t know if a process is legit maybe post them here and one of the Ubuntu heads can have a look for you. Also on hardware side, a failing hard drive can cause choppy performance, so run a few HD tests, and a surface scan.

On the network side, try an extended ping test to see if you are getting packet loss. Try a bunch of tests on a site like speedtest.net and make sure your are not getting excessive delay.

On thing frequently with laptops is faulty cooling system (dirty/malfunctioning fan, dried cooling paste, heat pipe has leaked etc.).

If it overheats it may start to throttle cpu speed to keep itself cool.

Check if your laptop is not getting too hot (it may be harder to notice if your laptop is not very slim and you are not holding it on lap).

@P1xt after using Sys Moniter. I do notice that both my CPU’s are making out whenever they start something new. So when i loaded the challenge page for FCC. Or when i visitied speedtest.net, anything really. The cpu was hovering around 85 -99% ,

@rickstewart, Does Linux even get viruses? I doubt i have any with this being a fresh install of ubuntu.

my pc knowledge is a bit scattered from being self taught and only learning to fix problems as they arise. but this is ongoing issue for me, and has replicated itself on any linux Distro i use.

Appreciating the suggestions here. to answer all at once.

No heating issues,
Ram is at a stable 35-40% used out of 3.5gb
Hard drive is using 1% of full capacity.
Hard drive self test checks out ok. (ran disks, in the dash)
pingtest.net said i needed java for packet lost, So i just continuous ping google for 100 packets in the terminal. if that is sufficient. 0% packet loss

Just to eliminate it, install chrome and try that. Make sure if it is already installed on the system to run updates.

Also make sure your OS has no updates to take.

Also make sure any third party device drivers are the latest, ie network card, video card etc.

Unplug anything non-essential and test again. ie printers, Wacom tablet, anything like that.

Just to note - your CPU usage, as long as it is being accurately reported, its okay to run high numbers as long as it is not continuous, and not sitting at 100% ( for example when the keyboard to slow to respond ).

And which process was consuming those 85…99%?

I just tried to load speedtest.net in firefox and my cpu load went from 2…5% to 50…60% and stayed that way.

Actually any page with a flash loads my cpu (so I just block that crap and enable only when necessary). It looks like Ubuntu doesn’t play good with flash.

But fcc doesn’t use flash, so it shouldn’t play any role.