I was contacted by a small company who dreams of making a delivery service. I got the impression that they start companies, build them up a little, sell them, start a different type of company and rinse/repeat. They would like me to start building the online service of this company. I was completely up front and honest about my capabilities and they explained they can see the passion I have for this development and would like to get me on board now. The person interviewing me was not a coder and I explained there would need to be a lot of back-end development(he was at least aware there is a difference between a front end and back end developer) needed as well and while I have taken a python and an database class in school, I retained little of the knowledge and know virtually no back-end development. They said this would be fine and some of my work hours can go towards learning, and they already know I spend my free time learning.
They offered me $14 dollars an hour, $17.50 for overtime but I am only supposed to be scheduled 40 hours a month and working from home, only coming in to meet with the boss to discuss progress and what needs to done once a week. After 3 months I will be evaluated for an opportunity of full time employment. On one hand I kind of want to take it because I believe there is so much I can learn, I would probably even do it for free. But on the other hand, I worry that they are expecting way more from me than I can do for them (despite me explaining my current abilities) and in the end they will feel I wasted their time.
Another concern is I explained I code everything by hand but they wanted me to use a website building program that I had not heard of before and then perhaps rebuild it by hand down the road.
Even the small amount of extra money would be nice, and any professional coding experience would be super nice, but I am currently employed full time and can make the bills if I turn this down. But I can also maintain my current job and do this. I think bottom line is, my gut is telling me this is a bad idea or something is “off” but my mind is telling to buck up, only good will come of this for me even if they decide Im not right a few weeks or months down the road.
Do any of you have any input or advice?