Simon Game Project - Sounds & Playback timing issues

Hey Coders,

I’m happy with the general functionality of my Simon Game, but when it goes to play back the array of computer outputs it plays them simultaneously rather than one after another. I’ve put in asynchronous timing methods in place, but they aren’t working within the for-loop that I’ve made (see below), can anyone suggest another way I could approach this issue?

I believe that the for loop iterates through each output without delay, and each output has it’s own 1000ms delay - but because they’re all executed at the same time, after that 1000ms they run together. I tried to find something to put after the setTimeout… which would basically be a ‘wait x seconds’ but everywhere seems to point to asynchronous timing events. Is there a ‘wait’ method OR a way to make asynchronous events work properly when iterating through an array?

for (var i = 0; i < simonArr.length; i++) {
    setTimeout(output(simonArr[i], 1000));
  }

Here’s a link to my codepen: https://codepen.io/antiaccess/pen/wogRwp

Thanks for reading! If you can offer any help or direct me to some resources it would be much appreciated

Best,
Ant

1 Like

Hi Antiaccess.
I found this code (posted by “cji” on stackoverflow.com) to be the best when confronting that same problem:

var i = 0, howManyTimes = 10;
function f() {
    alert( "hi" );
    i++;
    if( i < howManyTimes ){
        setTimeout( f, 1000 );
    }
}
f();

Obviously you are going to have to tailor it to your needs, but, for me, instead of the “alert(“hi”);” line, that is where you could put a function call to whatever you need to occur every second.
Best of luck.

Hey Richard,

thanks for the idea of recursion, it ran through my mind but it was one of those days where my brain wasn’t cooperating. Thanks for the push, the code now works ideally!

Cheers mate!

Hi!

I have actually tried the recursive approach, but it behaved exactly the same way as a for loop: played all the sound effects at the same time.

Here is my function:

function recursiveSequencePlayer(iteration) {
  if (iteration === randomSequence.length) {
    console.log("finished");
    return;
  } else {
    let btn = "#"+randomSequence[iteration];
    soundAndLight(btn);
    console.log("rec "+iteration);
    iteration++;
    setTimeout(recursiveSequencePlayer(iteration)
      , 1000);

}
}

I still haven’t been able to solve the problem.

Hi!

I had the same problem, but found the solution.
The solution is using setInterval instead of setTimeout in a loop.

A part of my code as an example:

var randomSequence = [1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,1,1,1,1,1];
function sequencePlayer(){
  let i=0;
  var myVar = setInterval(iPlay, 300);

function iPlay(){
    console.log("sequencePlayer soundAndLight");
    if(i<randomSequence.length){
      let iBtn = "#"+randomSequence[i];
      soundAndLight(iBtn); //this is a function that plays the sound and changes the color of the buttons, not included in this example
      i++;
    }else{
      clearInterval(myVar);
    }
  }
}

I hope this can help.