Simon light-up headache

Hi guys and girls

In my Simon game I have a playSeq function that iterates through the computer array and plays the corresponding sound, like this:

async function playSeq(seq) {
      for (const value of seq) {
        await sleep(1500);
        soundPlayer(value);
      }
  };  

function soundPlayer(seqCode) {
  switch (seqCode) {
    case 0:
       soundRed.load();
       soundRed.play();
      break;
    case 1:
       soundBlue.load();
       soundBlue.play();
      break;
    case 2:
       soundGreen.load();
       soundGreen.play();
      break;
    case 3:
       soundYellow.load();
       soundYellow.play();
      break;
  }    
}

function sleep(ms) {
    return new Promise(resolve => setTimeout(resolve, ms));
}

This works fine to play the sounds of the computer sequence, but now I have no idea how to make the different color pads light up, I have tried putting a setInterval function within each case for the switch statement that adds a class for a second, but it is not working.

Any idea on how I can approach this problem?

Mhā€¦point is the sound interrupt itself, highlight would need to be turned on and off. So you probably need to add a CSS class to highlight the pad and a setTimeout function to remove it for each case ^^
By the way, are you sure of the async choice? I mean, you want the sequence to be played ā€˜in sequenceā€™, as well as you donā€™t want your app to do something else meanwhile ^^

Hope it helps,
-LyR-

Thank you for your reply. I couldnā€™t figure out any other way to iterate through the computer array and have it play the corresponding sound every 1.5 seconds. After countless hours I tried the FCC forum and somebody recommended the async function. At that point Iā€™ve never even heard of async functions and promises, but I struggled with it a bit and figured my solution outā€¦
but now I feel so stuck and Iā€™m starting to doubt Iā€™ll ever get the hang of javascript and Iā€™m seriously thinking of just giving upā€¦

Ah, donā€™t do it! I know the feeling, but thereā€™s the other side of te coin: when you solve it you feel great! :grin:

Anyway, dunno about the async stuff, but about scheduling in general you can have a look here (especially this section).

Hope it helps,
-LyR-

1 Like

@Layer setTimeout is asynchronous: using async to create a sleep function is fitting here - it lets you schedule asynchrounous things like timeouts but write code that look synchronous - it makes it easer to read because you can write things one after the other, rather than in callbacks.

@Wynand assuming you select all your pads - like const $allPads = document.querySelectorAll('.pad'). And you select each individual pad as well - eg $redPad = document.querySelector('.pad-red'). Whatever your classes/ids are anyway, thatā€™s just an example:

case 0:
  $allPads.forEach($pad => $pad.classList.remove('active');
  $redPad.classList.add('active');
  soundRed.load();
  soundRed.play();
  break;

So for each case, remove the .active class from all your pads, then add it to the current pad. Use CSS to colour it. Use animations/transitions in CSS if you want it to fade in/out or whatever.

1 Like

Ah yes yes, i meant that the code shoudnā€™t progress until the ā€˜delayedā€™ instruction were executed^^
Thanks for clarify: i remember when i was working at that challenge i did something like the last code you wrote using setInterval, and the problem was that when the same pad was selected twice i coudnā€™t put a pause between them ( thatā€™s why i went for two function calling each other with a setTimeout each ) but now i see i could have used promises to write it in a cleaner way^^

Thanks! :slight_smile:
-LyR-

Iā€™ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into the forum, precede it with a line of three backticks and follow it with a line of three backticks to make easier to read. See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard. The ā€œpreformatted textā€ tool in the editor (</>) will also add backticks around text.

markdown_Forums

Thank you so much @DanCouper ! You have practically helped me solved most of this project, thank you for putting in the effort to help me.

1 Like