Simple Resume Question

Hello!

From personal experience or if you are part of the hiring process, does a unique and visually appealing resume help or hurt you? Does it not matter? I’m thinking of one with colors, includes a headshot, unique but functional layout, etc. Or should I just stick with 12pt, 1 in margin normal resumes?

Thanks!

1 Like

Unless you are applying for a design job, keep it predictable. People scan resumes for a few seconds. If they don’t find the information where they expect it, they are likely not to look further.

2 Likes

Don’t include a photo on a US-based resume. It’s unexpected and can actually subject you to silent bias. It also takes away from more important page space where you could be listing skills, projects etc that show you are the best candidate for the job.

2 Likes

Agreed here. I have a pretty simple resume and a resume site which is barebones for the most part. You can download my resume from that site if need be.

The simpler the better, especially for engineering jobs.

1 Like

a simple resume format requires a lot of creativity because it should be both pleasing to the eye and tailored to your experience and desired job