- Linux now operates on the majority of smartphones and tablets around the world via the Android OS (based off the Linux kernel). As of March 2016 Android holds 60.99% of the market share on mobile devices (tablets and smartphones). It also holds 82.8% for smartphones alone (per 2015 Q2 numbers).
- As of March 2016, Alexa reported that 96.55% of the top 1 million Internet domains in the world are powered by servers running Linux.
- The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), the largest stock exchange in the world which trades securities worth billions of dollars daily are executed by servers that run on Linux after moving away from UNIX.
- The White House powers their web servers using Red Hat Linux and Apache.
- The US Department of Defense (DoD) uses Linux to run their nuclear submarine fleet.
- The US Navy uses Linux for ground control software.
Some Usages for Linux