Starting to develop a portfolio

Hello Campers! It’s been a while since I’ve been around FCC, but this summer between semesters I’m doing a bunch of coding and decided to make a portfolio / blog page to keep track of it all.

http://fionaisfine.com

There is not much there in terms of projects yet; my FCC projects are quite outdated and something I’d want to revisit before showing off. Currently I’m working on an ASP.NET Core CRUD app to put on there. The blog is mostly so I can write down things as I figure them out for future reference. I was curious what the FCC community thought, though. I know I need a proper photo on there but I don’t have a good one at the moment.

2 Likes

i like the designs you got an ux background? But i definitely want to know more about your skills, what you have worked with

Thanks! I don’t have any relevant background besides a little bit of school, just crummy retail and transcription jobs. Hence why writing a resume is giving me trouble. I’ve added some skill icons to the landing page to highlight the technologies I know and am working to know better.

@InternetFriend Your website look professional. I love it. Nice colors and mobile view is working fine.
On the ‘code’ page I see only two tiles and they are off center. It looks like a tile is missing.

1 Like

Nice site! I love your artwork–wish there were more of it to view. Keep building and posting your projects. I like that you have a style/brand; that’s something I’m still working on myself. Kudos!!

1 Like

Interesting site, in my opinion maybe a little touch of color to make the site a bit more lively.
Don’t talk about your gender or age on your portfolio.

1 Like

Really, all I wanted to say is that I love your site. The design is beautiful. But here’s a few points of UX feedback:

• When I was browsing I sort of expected a link to the homepage on the navbar. You could add one. Or the whole banner above the navbar should link to the homepage, since only the right half does at the moment.
  • Maybe the search bar should be on the whole site, not just the blog?
  • I would change the header of the site from “Fiona Liotta’s Portfolio” to “Fiona Liotta”, since it’s clear already that the site is your portfolio. But that might just be my own personal preference.
  • It wasn’t very clear to me that “Code” in the navbar means your projects. But I’m not sure what I would change it to.
  • To disagree with @Kish, I like your About Me (you seem friendly and cool).
1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback. I’ve made a few changes.

https://fionaliotta.com/

The entire top yellow bar links back to the landing page.
The landing page is entirely different with more color now. I’ll probably try to come up with some original work to replace the stock photos I’m using eventually if I stick with this layout.
Added a new code project.

I’d like to have the blog search bar on the whole site but it’s actually a bit annoying to do with the way I’ve currently configured my CMS (Umbraco with Articulate blog plugin.) I’ll have to rearrange things on the back end before I can do this.

2 Likes

It may be difficult to admit but when you give your age and gender you are giving the HR an opportunity to discriminate
Its not just with web development, its general portfolio guidelines

2 Likes

It’s not something I would put in a CV and cover letter. If someone is interested in my CV enough to go through the website and still discriminates against me because of my gender, that’s not a company with a culture I’d be able to work in anyway.

2 Likes

@InternetFriend

TIP: your images are loading a bit slow. You may want to shrink them down at the tinypng.com website.
The imagesBlogIntroBG.jpg is a massive size of 1.59MB with a resolution of 5184x3466px. Try to get the whole website below 3MB.
Here is a screenshot of the network tab of the developer tools. Look at how many milliseconds it took to load.

1 Like

Oops. I cropped and resampled the background images. Thanks for pointing that out.