String Immutability problem

Tell us what’s happening:

It says it’s wrong and I don’t know why?

Your code so far

// Setup
var myStr = "Jello World";

// Only change code below this line

myStr[0] = "H"; // Fix Me

myStr = "Hello World";
myStr[0] = "H";

Your browser information:

Your Browser User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0.

Link to the challenge:
https://www.freecodecamp.org/challenges/understand-string-immutability

Thank you randelldawson, I only just noticed you had sent this message so I’m sorry for the delayed response. I can see the errors you pointed out now. I didn’t realise that I had to delete the original code. While I have your attention I wonder if you could help me with what they want me to do now because I wouldn’t have the first clue. They want me to build a random quote generator without looking at the source code of the example and I’ll be honest I don’t know how to do that. Should I know how to do that based on what I’ve been taught here? It says I can use any API’s I want and Libraries well I didn’t even know what an API was until the last lesson and they didn’t reveal much, and Libraries, well I don’t know much about them either… Any way I thought I would run that by you.

No, the fCC lessons alone don’t teach you enough to complete the projects. That’s why it’s essential that you read around the topics, and your first port of call should be Google (or Duck Duck Go. Or maybe even Bing if you’re a masochist).

Try these searches for starters:
API
AJAX
JSON
JavaScript native AJAX methods or jQuery AJAX methods
free famous quotes API

1 Like

Thanks lionel-rowe, I only just noticed your response and so apologise for my late reply. I kinda gave up on my attempt at the random quote generator, at least for a while, but have decided to give it another go. I will try the searches you suggest and keep looking till I find the answer. I realise that if I give up that easily I never really had a chance of success in the first place. As I previously stated I am really impressed by the support that I have received since my first post and greatly appreciate everyone taking the time to explain things to me. Thanks again.